Geoprivacy, Obscuring, and Auto Obscure Discussion

Revisions, clarifications, and additional guidance in the curator guide around conservation statuses and taxon geoprivacy are definitely needed.

Based especially on what we went through last year with Nature Serve Canada (for the few of you reading this who weren’t in the thick of that, it’s in this thread), I think we’ve evolved to a place that is more nuanced than currently articulated in the curator’s guide. I would paraphrase it as “as open as possible but as closed as necessary”.

In the best case scenario, there will be not only a list of threatened/endangered/protected species, but also a list of “species subject to persecution or harm” or sometimes “sensitive species” that reflects local/national consensus of the species most at risk from sharing locations of populations or individuals, not just their threat due to all causes. If such a list exists, that list should be used to guide decisions about taxon geoprivacy. The remaining threatened/endangered/protected species that are not on the “persecution or harm” list can still be included for a bulk upload of conservation statuses with the taxon geoprivacy set to open.

For places that do not have a list specifically for “species subject to persecution or harm”, then maybe the best approach is to obscure everything “near threatened” or worse (or perhaps a higher threshold?), expecting that over time the community will then help curate and open up the taxon geoprivacy for species where the cost of hiding observations will likely outweigh the benefit. I’m interested to hear what others think about how to best approach places where we have little if any conservation statuses.

It is possible to update the conservation status without changing taxon geoprivacy. However, it is more complicated to do it that way and I don’t think it is a great idea in our current system of bulk updates done by staff.

You could use the API to look for exact matches in your list. Or…

That is a very clever approach, @jdmore. I almost think you should make a new thread specifically about your method.

6 Likes