Going around in a iNat e-circle

I have a couple of technical questions. I cannot find the answers to these questions in the Frequently Asked Questions list.

1. How do you switch from the forum page to the main iNaturalist page where you post observations etc? I could not find a “back to main page” (or something like that) button in the forum page. Am I missing something?
  2. How do you use the journal feature?
5 Likes

First, to answer the first question, you can find a link back to the main site under the menu here:

4 Likes

As for “journal feature” there are both personal journals and project-based journals, which do you mean?

1 Like

Rrg, just because I can’t type fast enough you get to explain everything!

4 Likes

;) it comes with experience.

5 Likes

So also, @shecoyote, there’s a link to iNat at the very bottom of all forum pages - scroll down as far as you can to find it. But the way Blue described is usually easier.

For the personal journal, go to your iNat home page and click “Journal” in the blue list. It should look like this, just click “Add One”.

Project journals are found on a project’s home page, next to the “About” section and beside the “Edit Project” button. Click the little oval that says “Project Journal”, then "New Post.

2 Likes

If it was more of a “What am I supposed to write in my journal?” question, the answer is “Anything you want.” There are no guidelines.

6 Likes

I never found those built in buttons for going back to the regular iNaturalist dashboard. I just use the back button on my browser.

I just have two tabs open, haha

7 Likes

Yeah, I usually do too. At least I do know how to switch between them though, if I click a link or something and get sent to iNat from the forum.

*cries in fifteen tabs open at all times

5 Likes

I do that too. Less fuss. @astra_the_dragon I don’t know if I’ve ever had 15, but often get close!

I usually only have like 3 tabs open, as, out of some…experience, whenever someone comes into the room, I close all my tabs out of pure shock of someone bursting into my room, even if my screen had nothing “bad” open :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I love to open multiple tabs at a time, but when they reach a certain number that is around 10-15, my browser starts to crash…¯_(ツ)_/¯ But it still doesn’t stops me from opening more than 15 tabs…:crazy_face:

2 Likes

Which browser do you use? Or it’s hard drive issue? I rarely have less than 30 tabs open and even though it uses a lot of memory it never crashed because of that.

1 Like

I use it on my tablet, in Google Chrome.

Oh, that’s hardcore!

1 Like

I also unknowingly do it sometimes…:sweat_smile:

1 Like

Thank you. I definitely missed that.

I meant the personal journal.