Good cameras for nature shots

Bienvenido a foro, @carlesguinart!

1 Like

Gracias ! Un saludo.

For digital I use a Fujifilm X-t10. It’s showing its age at this point, but bottom line, I strongly endorse Fujifilm. When I’m shooting, it’s:
(1) with vintage Pentax glass
(2) manually focusing
Fujifilm has the analog photographer in mind when they design their camera bodies. The buttom placement, the switches, it all just feels “right”.
And to turn a few heads here, for macro, I either use bellows, or more often I just turn my lens around and shoot through it backwards. Best macro purchase I made was a $3 adapter from ebay, 58mm filter thread to fujji X-mount.
(I could prattle on about macro on the cheap for a while, but a simple lens reversal is great. it’s simple and I’ve been preferring it to using bellows a lot recently).
And lastly, for Analog I use a Pentax MX, with Across 100 usually, though I’m really enjoying Pan F 50. For glass, its all the SMC Takumar I can afford, lol.

1 Like

If you are a beginner and have the dough you might want to get a Nikon or Canon DSLR starter pack. I have a Canon Rebel T6 and it works wonders. I started out with a Nikon Coolpix L830 which I used for the longest time but it is on its last legs. I highly recommend the DSLRS though. My aunt has a Nikon; I am not sure the model she has. I really like the Rebel T6 I got it on Black Friday back in 2018 and love it. I don’t have but the one Macro Lens and the 75-300MM Lens that came with the package but they are good for getting up close shots of insects and birds. I am still playing with it since I am still new to the DSLR experience but I am hoping to upgrade to more powerful lenses and things to better my experience. However they are great to start out with if you are looking for a good camera. I really think that the Rebel series is a good buy and has great quality. I hope this helps.

2 Likes

Now I have Nikon D750 with 70-300vr tele lens ans 105 2.8f macro lens, though I’m gonna change first one this spring for anything better. As already was stated any camera is good enough, depends onwhat you take photos of, I’m okay with doing most of shots with phone camera, just because those photos are for observation, not a gallery. But for distant objects or too small objects phone camera is not enough.
From my previous cameras I really like Nikon D7000, but it has expressed image noise all the time, day or night (also had D5100, but definitely it’s not as comfortable to use and quality was worse)
Before all DSLRs I had Canon PowerShot SX30 IS and it was great for my level and I still thik it’s a really cool amator camera for any purpose.
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/20034612
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/34821120

2 Likes

For observations of small stuff, it depends how much weight you want to carry around and whether you want to document or get artistic shots. I have moved from reflex (Nikon D90) to phones, I was pondering to buy some good macro lens but since I have seen that phones with 108Mp cameras are already out, considering how handy is the small size, ability to browse the internet and having integrated GPS I’ll try to have the price tag drop a little bit and have my current mobile wear out and then I’ll give it a try. The thing I am not using my current phone for are calls :grinning:.
Moreover, with a cheap clip on lens and lots of patience you can get further. See my examples here

3 Likes

I can support recommendations previously made for the Olympus Tough cameras. They do take very good macro shots, they have an LED lighting option so you don’t wash out your subject w a flash, and are indeed tough.

6 Likes

The Nikon Coolpix B500 is pretty good for nature photos.
40x zoom, 16MP, no built-in GPS but you can send photos to your smart device via bluetooth or wi-fi. It also has a micro HDMI port and comes with an HDMI/USB adapter to download photos onto a computer.
It’s a larger model, but it feels great in the hand. If you want something in the cheaper range, it’s only $250-300 USD.
Also comes in a pretty red.
Here’s a pic I’ve taken with it.

5 Likes

I helped a trainee get a Nikon B 600 (this is his inaturalist profile of some pictures) - he is getting great pictures and videos. He does not own a computer so the wifi facility is essential for him and he is very productive on inaturalist - considering that he has begun watching nature only for a relatively short while.

I helped another trainee get a Canon Sx 70HS - again amazing videos and some great pictures.

Having said that many of us use our mobile phones to take pictures - the new mobiles phones have great cameras and even decent closeup facility. So a good mobile / cell phone is a handy ever present tool to consider.

However the expensive range of mirrorless and the mid range to high range DSLR with all the modern magic on board are great choices too - they are unbeatable for low light; fast paced (birds, insects etc) HD video , macro etc.

2 Likes

I use a https://creativepro.com/new-26x-optical-wide-angle-zoom-camera-olympus/
and it’s pretty good at nature photos-https://www.instagram.com/canyons_nature_photographs/

This would one would make a good zoom background :relaxed:
https://www.instagram.com/p/CFd6enej-jt/

Same ! The only difference is that my camera is 14 MP.

3 Likes

Fujilfilm high five! I shoot with an XT2 and I LOVE it. I don’t think I’ll ever switch systems.

Did macro with reverse mounted vintage lenses and extension tubes for a while. Last year, Laowa came out with the 65mm 2X macro lens for Fuji for not too much money. I picked one up just after it came out and it’s been my go-to for all things macro. Definitely not as inexpensive as using vintage lenses, but I find that my keeper to trash ratio has gotten considerably higher with the Laowa lens.

Also, I love the film simulation/“recipe” capabilities of the Fuji X cameras. So much fun.

2 Likes

Mine one is also Fujifilm…:wink:

3 Likes

My camera @teellbee

That was really helpful with the measurements and scale.:star_struck:

I have a ~truly~ ancient Olympus. Back in those old days I really researched it by buying print photography magazines and Consumer Reports. Geez! Anyone else remember Consumer Reports?!?
(There was little to no internet guidance available then :crazy_face:).

It was nice and compact like yours, but pretty heavy. In its day, it took a good pics (well, within the limits of the photographer anyway).

I never had the money to buy special lenses (ha, buying filters was as special as I could get !)

If you have time to check, may I ask what yours camera weighs?

4 Likes

No sorry can’t get the wights

But here is one of my favorites taken with my camera

2 Likes

That is an evocative photo!

No worries about getting the weight, I can find that online.

If you care to share more about you camera…

What 3 things do you find most useful ?

What 3 things do you wish were different?

1 Like

1-Photographing birds
2-Capturing sunsets
3-Photographing water

1-Bigger zoom
2-Better focus
3-Zooming in and out while filming

2 Likes

Also has a very nice flash

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNqv0egAqk7/

1 Like