Good lens setups and macro lenses for orchid photoghaphy

I guess we just have different preferences there. I use MF for everything even flying insects…

2 Likes

Having the manual override and using back-button focus pretty much eliminates the need for any specific choice as you have both options instantly available.

If you’ve been shooting “normal” shots and then need to switch over to macro the autofocus gets you in the ballpark much faster, and then you can fine-tune with the manual override.

I don’t see it as a “one or the other” like it used to be; now it’s both at the same time.

1 Like

I use exclusively manual and handheld, for both my lenses the autofocusing is too slow/inaccurate to be of any use. I really like the manual focus on the sigma 70mm it feels super satisfying, I definitely dont get every subject in focus first time especially at close to minimum distance but even with the 180mm lens I tend to get usable shots without a tripod. I tend to compensate for movement with higher iso and shorter exposure times. in WA we get stupidly high amounts of light usually so it tends to not be an issue.

I assume the newer sigma 70mm has a far improved autofocus. When I was using a 55-250mm zoom lens which had decent autofocus I found it incredibly useful, especially for mammals/birds/reptiles which would often require really quick focus to capture.

1 Like

Does anyone know anything about the Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro (Old model)?

Your top picture is a worthy entrant in the 2022 Photography competition

1 Like

Just got a Sigma 105mm EX DG macro lens secondhand for $280 AUD. After making a new flash diffuser I am Just getting used to it. Thanks everyone for your recommendations.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.