Groups photos by timestamp on upload

Edited post:

Many users post multiple photos of the same organism as separate observations. It’s a common issue with camera traps that take multiple images on a single trigger, but it’s also frequent with regular photo uploads too. Can iNat offer a way to group photos based on timestamp when uploading new observations? The most basic algorithm would be something like “all photos taken within 1 minute belong to a single observation”, but maybe the time frame could be adjustable? Obviously the user could manually move the photos around after the algorithm runs.

0 Likes

Sort by date or file name during upload

I’ve been wanting to start using camera traps, but haven’t had the time, yet. This is a little curious to me. I figured manually work the items of concern, not only to sort it out, but to apply a little human-powered quality control.

When I take pictures of animals, I usually end up taking a dozen but only posting the most useful handful. I figured it would be the same for a camera trap. Same for deployment, that each time I visit the site to swap cards, each card would be a “batch” that could share the same location data. How long do these operations actually take? Long enough for a feature request, at least. :smiley:

0 Likes

These are two different feature requests, so you might consider separating them into their own threads so people can vote on them separately. Here, I fully support better tools for merging and splitting observations, but I don’t love the idea of system-level support for metadata that only pertains to one kind of observational practice, e.g. camera trapping. That’s what observation fields are for.

3 Likes

I don’t love using observation fields for the purpose of keeping track of metadata. I’m really thinking about a way to keep track of deployments independent of the photos recorded in the deployment.

At any rate, I took that part out of the request, now it’s just for a group-by-timestamp algorithm.

0 Likes

This is essentially what I do in my own observation database program when importing new photographs and it works really great. I almost never use the iNat web import so I can’t comment on how that works, but I can agree that this feature is extremely useful - not only for camera trapping, but in general.

PS.
Don’t do “new observation after 2 minutes”, but instead do “new observation after a 2 minute gap of inactivity”.

0 Likes

If we are talking about uploads through the website upload page, then I really don’t want something to change the order of the photos that I drag across. I carefully select the order I want to present the photos in the observation and upload them in that order. It would be counter productive to have them re-ordered.

–Tony

0 Likes

I’d want something that either you have to opt in to, or at least that you could opt out of.

1 Like