Help us make a Gall ID website!

A few months ago I posted here about a website I wanted to make to host comprehensive ID info about gall-inducing organisms in North America. That post got me in touch with @jeffdc, who has made a tremendous start by building the basic code of our database and website. But we still have a lot of work left to do fixing bugs, fleshing out features, and improving the design and user experience. If that sounds like something you’d be interested in working on, we’d love to get some more people on the team. Now that the project is underway and Jeff is around to help, it should be more accessible for people to jump in and contribute, even if you’re not an expert.

The website is built using next.js and React, written in TypeScript, and the data is stored in a sqlite database accessed with Prisma. If you’re interested in learning or practicing those tools, this would be a great opportunity to do that.

If you’re interested in helping in any capacity, join our slack channel through this invite link.

Edit: the slack channel invite link should work now.

11 Likes

The site’s source is all on GitHub if you want to poke around or submit some Pull Requests.

https://github.com/jeffdc/gallformers

2 Likes

I don’t know anything about coding but I can be your beta tester. :+1:

2 Likes

Well, Python is my preferred language, but I have a bit of experience with node.js, and I do know my way around SQL (though not SQLite specifically).

2 Likes

Thank you to everyone that has reached out either here or directly. If you have trouble with the Slack invite link, just message myself (@jeffdc) or @megachile directly and we can get it sorted out. We are using Slack to coordinate etc. so if you are interested in helping out that is the place to be.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.