How are mammal taxonomy names obtained on iNat?

I’d like to know how iNat obtains the names of species for mammals? There seems to be a lack of some valid names based on recent literature and I would like to correct it.

thanks

Mammal names have come from either IUCN or Mammal Diversity Database. We are due to update mammals after we finish the large bird update.

4 Likes

Welcome to the iNat Forum! If you haven’t seen it yet, you can read more about how taxonomy and name curation works on iNaturalist here: https://www.inaturalist.org/pages/curator+guide#policies

2 Likes

So for the genus Naemorhedus gorals there are a few species that are not included in the database. How can I flag it or bring it to the attention of taxon curators? I’ve done some research on the group and would like to contribute what we know about them

You type them in and click on search in extrenal providers. But all four Naemorhedus are on iNat, others are synonyms.

thanks @fffffffff so there isn’t details on which names are synonymous with the four species. and some species are not on the list of external providers. any ideas how I could do this?

You can look up on species pages, choose taxonomy tab and there’ll be a list of names. Or check GBIF.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.