How can I maximise my number of observations?

I would echo everyone’s points here, and also that it’s your account and so long as you follow the broad iNat rules you can observe however (much) you’d like.

If there is one suggestion I would add which @pisum sort of alluded to is that if you are going to make lots of observations, if you are able, try to make as high-quality of observations as you can. As someone who doesn’t filter taxa and just IDs everything locally, I have come across users that upload thousands (often hundreds in a day) of poor-quality observations, by which I mean they are blurry/distant or only show a single portion of an organism. If you are able, photographing several features of an organism can help immensely with IDers being able to identify your organism, which can turn an observation from a broad ID to a learning experience.

It differs for each organism, and this wiki provides tons of info, but within photo recs → guides there are explanations of useful features to photograph for many common taxa: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/observing-identifying-wildlife-wiki/15332

For example, for plants one might photograph only the flowers. While sometimes diagnostic a much more useful observation would be one that shows one shot of the flower and a clear shot of the entire plant. An even better observation would show those two things along with close-ups of the leaves and stem. None of these examples are the right or wrong way to post observations, but the more you provide in an observation the greater the chance it has of being identified.

12 Likes