How do I collect very small bees?

Over the past few years, I’ve observed an aggregation of Orange-legged Furrow bee tunnels. Amongst them, I’ve noticed one or two species of tiny bees. They are too small and fast to photograph with my camera. At least one of these bees is small enough to escape through the net of my butterfly net. How do I capture a couple of specimens?

2 Likes

As someone who’s studied & collected bees for several years, I’ve never had any bee come even close to being so small it can escape through the net - you may want to look into a different mesh size or net material. I would say net-collecting is probably the best way to catch these small bees (cuckoos perhaps?).

1 Like

I’ve had some luck with quick ziploc bag usage. Depending on how still they are, you could try aspirating. But I agree with @mollymjacobson, looking into a different net may be easiet.

1 Like

Since you know where they are nesting, I wonder whether you could invert a clear container or bag over the entrances to one of the tunnels and nab one or two when they emerge?

2 Likes

Two things you might try, if you haven’t already:

1. Video instead of still photography. Most bees are too fast-moving for me to take still pictures of, but I can often get video, even with a macro lens clipped onto my phone, with crystal-clear bits I can take screenshots of and add to an observation.

2. Vacuum them up. This silly-looking thing https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08WJX54Q9 (great for kids ages 3 - 12!) works well at vacuuming up bees and other small flying insects without harming them; I can then transfer them fairly easily into a zip-lock bag or clear vial for close examination.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the suggestions. I tried all that didn’t require buying something new with mixed success. @cthawley Ziploc baggies worked great for catching two beetles I don’t think I’ve seen before and an unidentified Sphecodes species. @spiphany I used two clear film canisters over a couple of holes and caught one smaller Sphecodes species and an unidentified Halictus sp. Unfortunately, my target species managed to elude my grasp. Whatever it is it is very easily spooked, very active, and seldom flies more than 1cm above the ground. I’ll try again tomorrow.

1 Like

I have no idea what it might be. It is only about half the size of the Sphecodes I see in the immediate area.

That bug vacuum looks surprising well designed for a children’s toy. Sort of an aspirator with the suction powered by motor rather than mouth, plus an integrated detachable viewing jar.

Might I suggest giving names and descriptions of products rather than Amazon links, though? It is annoying to have to click on the link and visit Amazon just to find out what is being referred to.

FYI, I edited the Amazon link to removing any tracking info.

1 Like

Thanks. I’m new at this Forum thing.

2 Likes

I love that bug vacuum! I have the same type, but a different brand. But a warning; the mesh on mine is too big to catch fruit flies. It spits them out through the fan exhaust. They don’t seem to be harmed, but still…

Also a great gift for the people in your life who call you to remove bugs from their houses! :laughing:

2 Likes

It might be possible to modify by adding smaller weave mesh, though that might tax the fan/reduce suction. But could be worth a shot for smaller bugs.