How do I start a discussion on an identification

I have a question for one of the leaders on his ID. What is the right way to open a discussion about his ID.

Thanks,

Kitty

If I understand your question, you want to ask about an ID that was made by someone whoā€™s listed as a leader for identifying that taxon?

You can comment, ā€œIā€™d like to understand how you got this ID. Can you tell me what features youā€™re using? In particular, can you tell me why you ruled out xxx? Thanks!ā€

Thatā€™s likely to get an informative response. Or maybe the person will say ā€œOops I looked too quickly. It really IS xxx!ā€ Even the leaders arenā€™t perfect.

10 Likes

Donā€™t forget to use the @ before the personā€™s name so they will see your comment. Such as @botanicaltreasures.

7 Likes

Iā€™ve had good luck with Janetā€™s suggestion, above ā€“ but also know that some of the leaders invest almost 100% of their effort into making IDs and donā€™t engage with the comments much, so if they donā€™t respond, please donā€™t take it too personally. (I like to encourage folks to respond, since it helps us newbies learn, but I appreciate that theyā€™re already putting in a ton of effort in other domains.)

6 Likes

I do a lot of IDs for others, and a common way people ask is by just saying ā€œcan you please help me get better at this by letting me know how you got to that ID?ā€

Itā€™s not always an easy answer, a lot of the time I just know the plant, so donā€™t be discouraged if theyā€™re not able to say a lot. This is also a good way to start a conversation with someone who has given you an ID that you know to be wrong.

7 Likes

Hi @kitty97 and welcome to iNaturalist!

Iā€™ll second the advice to tag other iNat users by name in your comment. Itā€™s easy for people to disable aspects of the iNat notification system and miss comments on observations they IDā€™ed.

Actually, itā€™s even easy to miss some comments when youā€™ve been tagged by name, which is why I sometimes nudge people after a few weeks or months with a comments such as:

Hi @inat_user Did you get a chance to review the suggested IDs for this observation?

As with any web forum, itā€™s best to assume good intent and phrase your enquiry as ā€œIā€™m interested to know what you see that suggests this IDā€ (rather than ā€œWhy would you everā€¦?ā€). One great thing about iNat is that almost everyone is happy to engage with other iNat users and share their knowledge. Even when you catch a mistake, most people are more than glad to be able to fix it.

7 Likes

The last part of that is really important for framing the scope of the question. When somebody just asks me ā€œhow do you know itā€™s x?ā€ I donā€™t have context to know what level theyā€™re operating at and therefore what to teach them. If they canā€™t tell a robber fly from a dragonfly (family or order level differences), then thereā€™s no point in explaining how to differentiate the dozens of species within a single given genus.

Iā€™ll also second tagging the person with the @ sign, since that helps us notice a comment we should care about. But make sure you spell their name right!

7 Likes

I donā€™t have too much to add that has not already been said. Tone helps. I initiated a conversation a couple of days ago when a person added a genus name to a moth pupa. I know that these are almost impossible to identify, so replied with ā€œIā€™m curious - how did you arrive at the ID? These all look alike to me!ā€ It turned out the person was new to moths, so I was able to open a conversation about online resources, and suggest if they still had the pupa they could rear it and see what emerges.
I also know some very experienced taxonomists who can be a little brusque in their responses. Itā€™s nothing personal, just their way. Iā€™m also quite willing to change my opinion. In general, Iā€™ve found most folks enjoy the conversations. It slows down identification speed, but I prefer the interactions - they help us all learn!
Edit - be careful about top identifiers. Iā€™m at the top of the ID board for a number of Canadian moths, but it doesnā€™t always mean that I know all there is to know about the moths!

7 Likes

This post just made me think of advice for identifiers - link a site where more photos of said plant can be seen - or herbarium specimens if the plant is quite rare.

Yeah, that happens to me, sometimes. I know that this is not species X but rather Y, but I know that difference (hue of the flowers, leaves present at flowering/not present) because I have studied material of the plants/seen them alive, etceteraā€¦ but itā€™s hard to put my reasoning into words. Sometimes.
For example, for someone so enthusiastic as I am with South American Amaryllidaceae, Urceolina (not the genus as a whole, but the species that were formerly Eucharis) is pretty hard to ID without photos of the paraperigoneā€¦ and even then, most of these look pretty similar: pendulous white flowers.
For that, when I ID, say U. astrophiala, the justification is usually ā€œshape of the ā€œcupā€ (paraperigone)ā€ since itā€™s one of the most conspicuous within the genus. But for species without photos or little herbarium records of the flowers, itā€™sā€¦ harder to say.

summary: Donā€™t try to explain much if you donā€™t find the words for it: it will get only more confusing. I recommend just linking to more photos of the plant so the observer can compare for himself.

2 Likes

When I ask for more info on how an id was determined, almost 100% is due to my thinking perhaps I can learn to identify this type of organism but Iā€™m struggling with details. In those cases, I provide what I have learned on my own to look for and what I think I can see in the photos and why Iā€™m struggling with a decision (between 2 or more species) or why Iā€™m questioning my own conclusion because it disagrees with the suggested id. I always go on the assumption the id is correct to the best of their knowledge - partly because they likely know more than me (I live in a region with a lot of skilled identifiers) and partly because I want to keep the interaction as positive as possible.

Answers (so far) fall into one these categories

A) oopsā€¦ I was wrong (very rare! mostly people who identify in my region know their stuff)
B) hereā€™s what I saw or hereā€™s what I know (X not found in Y circumstances, for example)
C) Itā€™s hard to explain - mostly I get a sense from working for X years in the field
D) no response

Those C answers are just as helpful to me as the B answers. It tells me that, after spending some time researching and examining photos, I didnā€™t ā€˜missā€™ a clear detail and that the skill level utilized was (at that moment) beyond me. It also helps me get a sense of whether I will ever develop that skill or whether itā€™s likely not one I will acquire. (a factor of my personal abilities and interest level)

So never discount the value of ā€˜Itā€™s my sense because of .____ā€™ even when the ___ is simply stated. I - as a novice hoping to learn more - find those types of answers helpful. It helps that I have a cadre of people identifying in my state that I trust. If they say itā€™s soā€¦ itā€™s likely so.

5 Likes

Hah! Many years ago when I was part of a moth pheromone study, we sent specimens to the national (Canada) taxonomic institute (it was called the Biosystematics Research Institute back then). When questioned about an ID the person said ā€˜it just looks like oneā€™. And sometimes that sums up how an ID is made!

3 Likes

Today I asked why Drimia not Trachyandra.

It just IS.

1 Like

@junior84 You make a good point here. I usually use such moments (when Iā€™m unable to explain immediately why something is A and not B) to turn inward and elucidate why I can differentiate two things but canā€™t explain it. Itā€™s basically looking into that black box which is our brain at work! In actuality, it might involve digging back into relevant literature, manuals, and guides to see what I may have explicitly learned in print but had dropped from conscious memory, and at other times it involves carefully examining two species in excruciating detail to try and figure out what my intuition is telling me. From either pathway, it may benefit me in one of two ways: (a) I might be better able to articulate how I distinguish two things, or (b) I might realize I had been conflating two species previously, and voila, it becomes a learning experience for me.

4 Likes

One thing to add, go on the user page for the identifier in question. On some they will say out right that they get so many notifications that they canā€™t keep up with them and to send them a message instead.

Also post your question on the observation anyway, Iā€™ve run into quite a few where someone asked a question of someone else that I ended up answering a few days later when I ran into it.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.