How do you deal with all the cobwebs?

Something else to consider is a baseball cap with the bill pulled down slightly. Between one of those, my glasses, and a mask my face is fairly well protected from things that might brush up against it. A cap also keeps leaves and branches from scratching my head (or brushing against it and giving me a start) as well as giving insects a place to land other than my skin*.

(I found this mayfly on my cap back in May; no idea how long it had been hitching a ride there.)

2 Likes

But if we like spiders, the idea of one being eaten alive by an extreme iNatter … is also an UNSEE trauma. Kill it with fire is the more usual social media solution.

I felt very bad for the spider!

4 Likes

I always wear my Tilley Hat. (I got that hat over thirty years ago, made in Canada, and it’s guaranteed for life!)And I do wear glasses. That helps. I don’t carry a stick, as it’s one more thing to have to manipulate constantly, especially while photographing! Maybe that will change, should I need a walking aid.
Maybe use one of the clear face shields that became popular and inexpensive during the pandemic. They are lightweight and can fit over glasses.

2 Likes

I’m usually the tall person that clears the path for everyone else. Waving a stick works for me too. Casting a “Remove Barriers” spell while waving your wand may also help. :mage:

5 Likes

Naive friend. “You go on ahead. I’ll just dawdle along behind. “

2 Likes

I try to avoid them as much as possible and if I can’t, I use my walking stick to gently move them. They cost the spiders so much to weave that I try to make sure the spiders can retrieve and consume as much of the web as possible to recycle into new webs.

I do have a funny story, though. My husband was walking through the woods the other day and didn’t realize he’d brushed a spider web (a golden orb weaver) and the spider accidentally got on his back. Well. The spider started building a web on his back! And he kept feeling something on his earlobe and brushing it and finally realized that there was a web from his ear down and across his back. The spider had expanded its web to include my husband’s entire back and ear! At least he gently moved the spider to a nearby tree so no harm done. But it really was hilarious. And you have to be impressed by the industry of the spider.

Fortunately, I always have a walking stick with me and wear a hat and frankly because of the copperheads and rattlesnakes around here, I don’t take a step without going very slowly and looking ahead very carefully. My usual method is to walk about five feet, stop, look around for birds, insects, plants, etc, check the area in front and around me and then move on another five or ten feet. Yes, it’s slow. But I don’t put my feet or hands anywhere that I can’t clearly see and I use my walking stick to make sure of the area in front of me because I’m wandering around a swamp where there is treacherous footing and water around. So far, so good.

5 Likes

I should take notes from this thread!! I seem to be a magnet for spiderwebs, it’s crazy. Even when I have people walking ahead of me, I get the web and not them, I have no idea how it works. Just the other day I got web in my mouth from walking straight into one.

1 Like

I’m always the slowest one in the group - so this just happens naturally when I’m walking with other people. I’m the one at the end of the line going “wait, come back, there’s something cool…”
I’ve been outpaced by a whole pack of lichenologists, for heaven’s sake!

6 Likes

(every time i see this thread pop up in the Latest list. i think of cobwebs in the brain.)

2 Likes

I’ll have to make a separate thread for that some time… definitely an issue when I want to point out this really common flower to someone and… its name is just gone…

1 Like

would that be Conical Trashline spider? Wow, crazy story!

Either Conical or Humped, I still have trouble telling those two apart.

In that case, I must live in an extremely cool place, albeit lonely …

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.