How does Nature Fascinate you?

To me nature is like a friend. Nature is filled with mysteries and we also get a chance to learn many things.Nature allows us the space to find all the answers we might already have within ourselves. Whenever I enter a forest area,there is no other disturbance in my heart nor my brain. Witha a calm mind we can achieve more than we can even think. Thats natures beauty and this is how nature fascinates me

5 Likes

Hi! Nature is a quite wide term (not life only but also chemical reactions or geological processes etc.). I also love the feeling when I start looking for organisms around. It is like to be hunter-gatherer, it is something most fundamental in human behavior, and mind is clean and calm. What fascinaiting me is discovering how “separate parts” of nature form one whole and how everything is connected.

11 Likes

I feel nature is our true mother. We were born from her. We owe to her everything we are.

I had an unhappy childhood in a dysfunctional family, but back then every time I got out into even a very small patch of nature I would sit down and feel calm and at peace. Everything made sense there, which it did not in the house and garden I had to call home.

I am truly at home when I am out in nature. The organisms in nature are all my dear relatives and close friends.

12 Likes

I understand this. My family wasn’t too dysfunctional as much as emotionally unavailable. I also was home schooled and found myself with no friends. Nature accepted me always. Animals and plants never judged me.

6 Likes

The extraordinary adaptations throughout nature are what keeps me fascinated and invested in learning more. I believe that all these intricate details and characteristics of particular organisms in response to their environment is mind boggling. I find myself exploring out in nature and my mind is free to ask, “Why?”. I don’t necessarily have to understand why a plant grew spines on its leaves to deflect predators. I do, however find it very important to keep your mind questioning the world around you. Nature never fails to leave me awestruck with its incredulous beauty. The peace of mind that comes with getting lost in it is undeniable.

6 Likes

To add to the conversation, it is amazing to me on how Nature survives in different conditions one would think ‘how is it doing that!’ For example, butterfly larvae that diapause under 30 feet of snow in the High Sierra’s. Or beautiful wildflowers or trees that grow out of the tiniest cracks in a slab of granite. Add to this the comradery that Nature brings to like-minded as well as divided people.

3 Likes

How? Constantly, if that’s an answer. Some time ago, I watched an ant taste a crumb, walk past it, then pause a few steps past, and walk back to grab it. Then, I realized that they aren’t the simple automatons that they are often portrayed to be. Yesterday, I just learned of a mushroom that exclusively grows out of hickory fruit and walnuts, Mycena crocea. Out by a pile of old black walnuts cleared from the lawn, that’s what the AI suggested. I had never conceived of such an organism before. Splendid!

4 Likes

Witnessing organisms and relationships that have evolved over a timescale my mind cannot truly comprehend, with the knowledge that I share a common ancestor with everything around me!

3 Likes

The incomprehensibly huge interconnectedness of nature is what fascinates me. Being truly immersed in our natural world has driven me to make connections to how organisms interact and how they’re ultimately reliant on both other organisms and their physical environment. I find myself looking at everything as apart of one great whole… an intricate, ever-changing network of interactions.

3 Likes

A key fascination for me is the incredible complexity of organisms’ behaviors and the intricately developed physical structures of even the tiniest beings. Additionally, the amazing ways the behaviors connect between the environment and the structures of the body. …I think I phrased that badly; it’s complicated.

1 Like

Plus, their behavior actually makes sense. Enough sense that one can learn to predict it. I have not found that so with humans.

And yet what fascinates me about nature is its almost unfathomable diversity. Peacocks, with the pretty males strutting about with impractically fabulous tail plumes. Also, phalaropes, where the females are the colorful strutting ones, and leave the males to care for the nests. Mockingbirds, who learn so many intricate songs; also, magnificent riflebirds, who only make a harsh noise like a rifle shot. Anglerfishes, where the males, once they find a mate, degenerate into a mere appendage of her body. It can sometimes seem like noting is impossible in the world of nature.

5 Likes

Nature fascinates me because when I walk out my back door into our forest, I feel the pulsing life around me and feel privileged to be part of it. I began taking bird photographs, then I noticed insects, then spiders, and now my camera has become part of me as I amble the fence to see who’s there each day. And another fascination is that after quite some years, I still come across new and incredible insects, spiders etc. Over the years I have become aware of just how interconnected everything is…we are all Earthlings, each and every life form on this beautiful, precious planet. The more you learn, the more you realise the urgency of helping protect life on Earth - not just to enhance or enrich human existence, but to ensure the existence of every natural life because it is all interwoven in ways of which we may not even be aware. Nature is calming because we are part of it, and we are the species who can protect and conserve it.

3 Likes

For me, I find humans to be one of if not the most intentionally cruel and manipulative species but out in “nature” everything just is for the most part. It’s a simple code of survival in nature but humans break that code and muck it up with their so called intelligence. I feel much safer and at home in nature, however harsh it is. I feel more comfortable in grizzly bear wilderness than around many human developments where you never know what kind of crazy thought is going on in people’s head.

The human world seems incredibly limited both within people and within their society. Their society is just a reflection of their limitations. Nature is vast and limitless. Humans are of course part of nature but we are just blink of an eye in the grand universe. If you wanted to call it a fascination, I guess it’s just a fascination of the greater world we exist in, rather than the small (and ever shrinking) human one we live in from day to day.

4 Likes

This may seem a bit harsh but I do not see nature as a thing, friend of foe.
Mother Nature has no bias, no favorites, no enemies. Even those who choose to exploit natural resources are not in any category as far as Mother Nature goes.
I have seen people schooled in survival get taken out with one misstep, have seen hunters unintentionally chill with deadly predators, I have heard people say that Mother Nature was their friend, their safe place but after an unforeseen incident, they think they have been wronged and thus completely changed their attitude towards Mother Nature as a result.
It does not matter how prepared you think you are or how schooled you are, Mother Nature can take a person’s confidence and shake it right out of them, she can take you out in a heartbeat and as long as a person understands that, the better.
Mother Nature as I see has no place for an overconfident ego, a large bank account or perfect health, she can and will take you out in a heartbeat. It’s why I preferred to spend my days in her company. No judgements by her. If one understands the dynamics of instant change (either positive or negative), has a good skill set and situational awareness, that person is a bit ahead of the game in being able to deal with an unknown stressor.
If you go out on a day hike thinking you will not meet up with a potentially life threatening situation and don’t prepare as much as possible, you are living in a form of selective denial.
Locally, people die daily just going fir a hike, swim, sail or other outdoor activity, because they either were not situationally aware or did not prepare for a negative scenario.
Be safe, carry proper emergency gear, not skimp on gear, your life may depend on it.
For me, the fascination and my curiosity about the natural world is boundless.

3 Likes

The one and only time I saw a tornado was like this. Actually, it was a waterspout. Boy, did it clear the beach of beachgoers! A Sunday afternoon at the beach might seem like a tame, relaxing experience, but you never know when nature will have a different idea.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.