How to attract silverfish

I am really looking forward into Silverfish raising, but I currently only have one. Any tips on how to attract more?

1 Like

I haven’t swept up the crumbs under my electric toaster for about a decade, and Lepisma saccharinum is often hanging around that area.

I suspect this is more Nature talk than General.

5 Likes

Leave some old cardboard boxes undisturbed in a dampish area for a while

3 Likes

Go into some middle eastern mountains and flip over rocks:)

but put them back carefully, so the habitat is not destroyed

2 Likes

Ok! Thanks

1 Like

For clarification, you’re referring to:

Not, a literal fish that are also silver:

Correct?

To me, the bigger question is, WHY would one want to attract silverfish? Most of us prefer to discourage them, at least around the house.

5 Likes

Could it be a case of interests in nature being similar to how tastes in music operate? That is, people gravitate towards certain genres without there being a satisfactory why, but where enjoyment is most important?

1 Like

Could well be.

1 Like

Why bother? It’s not like they do any harm.

2 Likes

They might not be safe from household cats, for example? I know my cats go after silverfish whenever they see them.

We have them and they’re cool! I know people keep every small arthropod possible these days.

1 Like

In Australia silverfish eat books and important papers. They definitely do harm to the human world that has to connect to government departments.

1 Like

(but we have digital backup. When Parliament burnt in Cape Town, they discovered that the scanned digital copies were illegible …)

The modern technological world doesn’t work very well as a library and is so short sighted… https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-07-10/native-title-gas-concerns-murujuga-rock-art-pillaga-sacred-sites/101206460

1 Like

Haven’t you played Minecraft? Those little buggers can kill you! :joy:

Yep! Almost all of them do it!

Silverfish live in dump conditions so if there’re any around books, it’s a serious warning that conditions of that library are dangerous even without silverfish, and I would be afraid of barklice.

Raising silverfish? I’ve never heard about that strange hobby, most people try to keep them away instead of attracting them. Can you explain to me more about your idea, @picioarelungi ?