How to avoid duplicate photos if we can't remember what we uploaded

I don’t know if I’d be considered a prolific observer, I’ve mostly upload thousands of observations to iNat from an app on the iPhone or an iPad. I’ve tried using the web uploader many times, but it does not play well with iOS on devices (frequent freezes, bogus error messages, errors with combining photos, etc.)

I’d like to use the web uploader, but with the all the issues, it’s no faster than using the app (which isn’t fast :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

Sometimes, I use both the iPad and iPhone to avoid duplicates - I use one to perform the uploads and the other to search my Observations to see if a given photo was already uploaded (going by the observation date, usually).

1 Like

In addition to using my phone straightforwardly, I often have a workflow that includes both computer and phone alternatingly: if I took photos on a hike, I use exiftool on the computer to inject geotags into the photo metadata from the GPS track generated by my Garmin smart watch (which is a tool chain I can’t easily recreate on android).
I then access my dropbox share from my phone and continue to sort/upload the photos from there, since the crop/edit/compare interface is better and that work can be done in odd moments, or as passenger in a moving car, etc.

I don’t have great ideas for avoiding duplication - at some point I go back to the computer, search and sort by observation date and compare. But I do expect that there’s some surprising hybrid workflows out there.

oh great idea

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.