How to change the content licensing for an account in iNat

Continuing the discussion from Website selling photos from iNaturalist:

@natashag: Hovering over your icon on the upper right side* will open a menu.

Choose account settings. About two-thirds of the way down the Account Settings page you can change your license. There are CC options and No license (all rights reserved copyright).

*[edit] On the desktop interface to iNaturalist.

5 Likes

@natashag - Your copyrights cover three distinct things: sound files, photos, and the actual observation. You can change any/all of them by going to your profile tab and selecting “Edit account settings & profile”. Scroll down to “Licensing” and choose what you’re comfortable with.

4 Likes

Also remember that laws or not, it’s real easy to illegally steal stuff posted on the internet by just taking a screen shot.

3 Likes

Thanks! :) Yes - I’ve had stuff stolen before. I just find that act offensive, I’ll just try to upload only identifiable but not good photos

1 Like

Just a quick note to say that legally, any content accessed under a CC license is so available in perpetuity.

There is little point changing observations or images published as CC to a closed license. Unless you significantly modify these, the originals will always be available under a CC license.

There was a bit of discussion on this is a separate thread on licensing: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/can-someone-explain-licensing-to-me-please/2691/13

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.