How to deal with wrong ID + opt-out-of-community-ID + no interest in changing ID?

Preface: I do not opt-out on my own observations, and I do a lot of identification on other people’s observations. And my thoughts below are solely my own and are not directed specifically at the OP or anyone else who has posted here. That said…

I think there is a persistent misperception by some that observers “work for” the identifiers here, or somehow “owe it” to identifiers to post or maintain their observations in a certain way.

That is not what iNaturalist is about. iNaturalist is about connecting people with nature through their personal observations of organisms.

iNaturalist provides many options for how people want their observations to interact with the community, including things like geoprivacy, opting out of community ID, up to and including the ability to completely delete an observation.

Obviously I greatly respect the contributions that identifiers make on iNaturalist, and wish there were more of us. I think we would do well, though, to remember that our efforts are always voluntary, and to temper our expectations toward other community members who may simply want to post their observations in a certain way for their own pleasure.

Postscript: I do agree with the active request to provide a filter for opted-out observations, for those identifiers who prefer to spend their time with only one kind or the other. As with observers, iNaturalist also provides many tools and options for identifiers, and this one is still missing from the toolbox.

15 Likes