How to Support iNatters in Creating ID Resources & Guides? Case study: How to Identify Speckled Swimming Crabs (Arenaeus)

My two cents, the single best thing that I think people could do to facilitate my creation of ID resources and guides like the ones I’ve been doing, would be to address my concerns about image licensing that I’ve raised in other threads, most notably this one (which is now closed).

The limiting factor in my ability to make these guides is often my ability to quickly find photos for them. The dominance of licenses with the NC clause in iNat’s pool of photos (which I’m skiddish to use for reasons I explain in that linked thread) is a major limiting factor. And I do believe that those NC licenses are so dominant mainly because they’re the default and the language iNaturalist presents on signup strongly recommends them, as the “the best license for sharing with researchers.” something I dispute vigorously.

I was frustrated that that thread was closed, and it’s been around six months since I brought the issue up, but the issue was not resolved, and in fact, nothing whatsoever has changed. iNat still defaults to a NC license, still does not allow the selection of any non-NC CC license on signup, and still misrepresents the implications of that license on signup with that misleading text. And there has been no prompt to encourage users to revisit their license, which was another potential solution that was discussed.

I would ideally like iNaturalist to be more dynamic and responsive at addressing and resolving concerns brought up by users in a timely manner, especially active ones who are putting a lot of energy into the site.