Human Foods That Are Poisonous to Other Animals…

I’ve had “fat” goats in my care who were, in reality, bloated with gas and/or worms from poor diet. So… I hope that beagle sees the vet regularly.

note: I did not own the goats, I was taking care of a summer camp petting zoo… And I was 16/17 and not confident or knowledgable enough to do anything to help

4 Likes

There are quite a few plants in my area (Northeast US) that are highly toxic to humans but not to our abundant deer- poison ivy, yew, and mountain laurel, to name a few. I’ve known groundhogs (woodchucks) to eat monkshood and foxglove, both classical poisons.

2 Likes

Top 10 Worst Foods to Feed Backyard Birds
Of course, some of these aren’t all that good for people either…

3 Likes

If a bird or reptile ate dairy, it would suffer intolerances, but large amounts can kill some. There are reports of snaked dying after being fed milk in various Indian festivals. However, please take this with a grain of salt, as I don’t know if they’re confirmed.

1 Like

Trh_blue: [quote=“trh_blue, post:21, topic:19316, full:true”]
I’ve had “fat” goats in my care who were, in reality, bloated with gas and/or worms from poor diet. So… I hope that beagle sees the vet regularly.
[/quote]

Well, this was a few decades ago, so the dog is surely dead now. But, the dog did not look bloated, really. She was pudgy all over and had jowls everywhere :upside_down_face: So, reportedly, the avocados did not make her sick, just fat.

3 Likes

Interesting! So much for my hypothesis about a general toxicity of avocado to dogs…

1 Like

that’s literally the most bizarre (in a good way) and informative thread I’ve ever seen. lmao

2 Likes

Keeping in mind this was hearsay from the dog’s owner.:wink:

For all we know, kids could have been sneaking the dog food. In a different time and place, a neighbor’s young daughter admitted regularly throwing her sandwiches over the fence to the dog on the other side whenever she did not like the bread her mom used.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.