I got tricked today

This one tricked me along with several very experienced lichen folks. I had marveled at the tenacity of this beautiful lichen growing on a busy sidewalk. A bit worn from foot traffic, but thriving none the less. Only later, after taking a sample for spot testing and spore examination did its lack of a medulla layer and distinctive spearmint odor shine through. :-)

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/115806542

12 Likes

I canā€™t tell you how many ā€œbirdsā€ I have seen and photographed that were actually driftwood, knots on tree branches (especially in certain lighting), and large piles of leaves stuck up in the trees in winter. Oops. I almost always realize it when I check my photos in the field, but I have brought home one or two to look closely at only to discover the particularly bird-like pile of leaves or log.

Thought Iā€™d share this Bird and Moon comic which is super relevant to this: New Types of Birds - Bird and Moon

7 Likes

This is among the best trickery observations, whoah

1 Like

Given the pond(?) habitat, Iā€™d say it looks like Papyrus inanimis metallicum ;)

It does look legit at first glance. Nicely done, whomever put those there.

I wasnā€™t tricked by these, but several of my traveling companions were. They were pretty excited to tell me Iā€™d finally found the puffins Iā€™d been wanting to see.

5 Likes

I encountered a similar such this week, except that I thought it was an insect gall.

3 Likes

I have been tricked numerous times to the sound Amazon trucks make backing up. I always think itā€™s a corvid or something, very disappointing.

1 Like

So much for the Amazon smiley! Can totally hear it too after watching this video for example.

2 Likes

This happened to me once. I was exploring a small patch of woods near my house when I came across a strange pile of grayish material, which clearly once had some sort of multi-cup shape. Ah! thought I, with utter confidence, it must be a fallen and decomposing beesā€™ nest. I took some photos and posted them to iNat. Later I showed my mom the photos and she said ā€œThatā€™s an egg cartonā€. https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/68348112

4 Likes

I found what was the the most curious stump in Northern California a few years ago. Once I touched it I realized it was bear scat. Unfortunately I didnā€™t photograph it as itā€™s the closest Iā€™ve come to encountering a bear.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.