I need a community hug!

I was traveling and someone decided to steal my phone, so I lost a week of observation … and it’s pretty bad. Despite my other personal photos, such as selfies and panoramics, I lost a lot of observations, such as audios, gifs and photographies. Has anyone gone through the same situation? And although it is not so terrible, since I did not suffer violence, because he was a pickpocket, I feel sad, and wanted to write this post to get rid of it. Now I feel better.

26 Likes

That’s terrible! I’m sorry that happened to you :(
There was another similar post on the forum before, though it was a lost camera, not stolen: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/what-to-do-when-you-lose-your-camera-on-holiday/3922

5 Likes

I have been a pickpocketing victim while traveling also, and I completely understand the frustration and sadness involved. I am glad that you are feeling better now.

4 Likes

My bag was stolen with lots of photos of tame wild birds and other, I don’t even know about all of them, I thought it was ok to store them at sd card, I was wrong.
And the best thing happened to me, my smartphone lost cause it got in a bag with trash. With 3 years of photos on it.

6 Likes

Hug hug hug Diego!

Give it a bit of time, and make a lot of new observations, and you will start to feel better.

7 Likes

Here’s a bear hug for you !
I’ve also lost my phone in a vacation ,along with my contacts ,phone number ,selfies and everything .
It’s really frustrating when you find out it’s gone ,but eventually it"ll be okay

6 Likes

Oh no, what a bummer. My phone was stolen a few years ago when I stupidly left it unattended at a public library :-/ I tried making a reward poster with no luck. My photos were well backed up and I didn’t lose much there, but lost something like 2 years of audio recordings because they weren’t getting downloaded like I thought they were. Hope you can replace it, though far from a satisfying outcome.

6 Likes

:( hug!

5 Likes

I also had to learn the hard lesson of why it’s important to back up photos from phone or camera, such as onto Flickr or another cloud site or onto an external drive. Theft, loss, or crashes of computers and phones occur when you least expect it. Sorry for your loss.

6 Likes

HUG! :green_heart:

4 Likes

Big hug!

4 Likes

5 Likes

What a major bummer!! Hope you get a new phone soon…

3 Likes

Sorry to hear that Diego! I’ve always enjoyed your observations!

:frowning_face:

3 Likes

Sad :( that’s really awful.

3 Likes

Oh no. :(
Even if it is crazy, how much phones have become for us all… losing photos and data is such a great loss…

But your story also shows, how important the little things are, which can’t be bought with money…

I am very sorry, that you lost so much. :(

But there is one thing… as you use inat, you shared more photos with the world, than you would have done without it.
So you saved a lot of these little things in a way…
So it seems that inat protects us a little bit from losses…
And that is a good thing…

4 Likes

I am so sorry. I jokingly say the only value in my phone is the iNaturalist photos I have procrastinated in uploading. My phone is an older model, so I am not sure how much value it actually has.

2 Likes

Hopefully you’d backed up your photos to the cloud,most carriers offer that service free. Sad to hear your loss and frustration.

2 Likes

cyber hug!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.