I think I saw a butterfly that wasn't real, turns out I was fooled by a grasshopper

The Gif I uploaded doesn’t work (at least for me) and it’s stuck on a single kinda blurry frame of the video, but the rest of the video was in focus. I would upload it but the file is too big.

With all kindness… what exactly are you hoping for here? The community has offered several different explanations, most of which you’ve summarily dismissed. So… now what?

I took a picture of Mars with that same camera.

Mars is a bright, relatively stationary object against a jet-black background.

I would upload it but the file is too big.

Try YouTube!

2 Likes

I guess it may have been a grasshopper, I’m just confused. I was really hoping it was a fairy of sorts.

2 Likes

Well, I never thought my favorite Hamlet quote would be relevant on iNaturalist, but : “There are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.” Honestly, I’m going with the grasshopper theory as the most likely as well, but if we’re entertaining metaphysical ideas, then who knows? I’d love a iSupernat site–I’d definitely spend a little time there. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

A disappearing butterfly would be pretty cool, but I’m backing up the grasshopper explanation. Don’t blame you, though – as a kid, I’d chase them a lot, and even still I can barely locate them when they land.

It could be turned into a kind of SCP cryptid, a very harmless cryptid that just likes to mess with people.

I’m afraid that’s unlikely :(. I like the optimism though.

1 Like

Yeah I know, I’m just thinking up ideas.

I’ve had a variety of different animals disappear in front of me. Maybe even a plant or two. Usually it happened when it was 100 degrees and I was getting hyperthermic. Other times I passed it off as “operator error” – that is my brain took a quick time-out when I needed it to focus. The grasshopper explanation seems the most logical.

2 Likes

I’m with you. The world gets lonely when there are no other species similar to us around. I wonder what it was like when there were several extant species of Genus Homo? Seems almost like Middle Earth.

3 Likes

You where right, the grasshopper was found in one of the pictures I took.

5 Likes

And the ultimate self con master are human beings who refuse to acknowledge what is happening and we are busy conning out self out of existence.

1 Like

Welcome @gwheelereb

Nice to have you join the forums,

I am laughing , though point 3 is a bit dark :-)

1 Like

Welcome @ frank103 to the forums.

Like so many of you, I too believe the subject of mystery to be a Grasshopper, here (Himalayas) too we have some of them and they are startling in flight and beautifully camouflaged when landed.

On an aside there are some moths like that too - maybe later will share how one such moth took us on a long journey of self doubt and discovery.

1 Like

Otherwise, you could just stick a camera near a shot, press record and use a frame grab from the video.

For me, if there’s interdimensional vortex hopping going on, I’m betting on all those super fast flies that I can never seem to catch. In comparison, butterflies seem like floating balloons.

1 Like

This may not even be relevant to you @wolfram06 but there is a small chance there is, so I thought I would take that chance.

My father’s job involved a lot of travel, and so he took up birdwatching because as he always said, all he needed was “his little notebook, binoculars, and a field guide to wherever he was headed.” (My mother would then add, “and a hat” because my father was balding.) Sometimes when he was not travelling he would take me out with him if I woke up early enough but usually not because he said I was never quiet enough.

My brother, however, was quiet enough and became quite proficient at birdwatching. It became something that, as adults, they did together after my father’s retirement and as my brother had vacation. They went to Canada sixteen years ago in fact to birdwatch, however when my father returned he became quite ill (not blaming Canada, my father was in his early 80s) and died.

My brother stopped birdwatching. It was something he had shared with our father that now felt lonely, like ballroom dancing for one or being the only member of a softball team. I also mourned our father deeply but because my memories of him were not tied to that particular shared activity, birds for me are happy reminders of him, and thus I have few observations of them, because when I see them, I tend to lower my phone and just think about my dad who was the greatest and who would laugh himself to pieces that I am finally now quiet enough to birdwatch. “TOO LATE” he would roar, then he would tell everyone his good joke.

@wolfram06 On the off-chance that you have lost someone you dearly, dearly loved and your grief has become tied to nature, I hope the world gentles to you. Even if none of this is relevant, peace to you regardless.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.