#IdentiFriday is the happiest day of the week

down to triple digits :grin:

6 Likes

Today I added IDs to 150+ observations previously IDed as genus Bacopa. Some things were not Bacopa at all. I’ve got IDing Bacopa caroliniana and Bacopa monnieri down. Still need to learn to confidently ID the other (rarer) species in the US. I’m now No. 8 on the leader board for Bacopa, No. 10 for B. monnieri, and No. 4 for B. caroliniana.

6 Likes

Anyone willing to tackle a fresh delivery at the West African fish project?
I can’t. Marking those Unknowns as Reviewed, Next.

I was rough sorting to ray or cartilage fish, crabs, shrimps, shellfish, maybe turtle shark ray. If we can move them from Unknown to a filterable taxon, that helps. Then annotate as dead.

It is a deliberate project between local scientists and the fishermen who record their catch.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/identify?per_page=10&iconic_taxa=unknown&order_by=observed_on&place_id=97392&project_id=123926

I will keep chewing at the 1K green and planty residue.

1 Like

I’ve seen those observations occasionally. I think the project is great and I did what I could right then to move some observations out of Unknown - but I understand why you just can’t right now!

1 Like

Did one ever ask them, why thy do not at least put the label “fish” on it themselfs? It would reach the right people which might be able to idetify it much faster… and I guess that would be the goal of such a project

1 Like

I think they need at least mark the location right, I also was on a market recently where had fresh local fish, but withut knowing when and where exactly, it’s not postable on iNat, this user clearly thinks otherwise.

It is caught for seafood - so includes lots that is not ‘fish’. A delicate balance between scientists seeking to record data, and local fishermen with cellphones. Not ‘citizen scientists’ but busy earning a living.

1 Like

We have had other threads about meat and fish at markets (fruit and veg too come to that) We can only use the location of the market, and scientists must process the available data.

1 Like

Yes, and that’s where it’s stated as in other cases if you use a spot where the organism was moved, as well as current time, it’s a captive organism.

1 Like

It’s Friday! Today I want to help Kurgan oblast, now they have around 4,4k of need ids, let’s make this number lower together!
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/identify?place_id=134700

1 Like

I’m checking Pacific (Hawaii, NZ, and all the tiny islands) and Caribbean (islands plus Central America) Apocrita and Aculeata today while soccer is on TV in the background

4 Likes

Still chewing thru the broad planty down to family for the Cape Pensinsula. Retrieving obs that were binned for 5 years …

4 Likes

Still working thru AL backlog…down under 800 pages to go…
Also working on keying some of my own stuff today xD And probably updating my own personal guidebook I’m making (I have a dozen or so things to add/fix in it)
And hopefully getting out because my new camera lens came in. I’m just having a hard time getting motivated to get out. [If you follow me on flipping.rocks (mastodon) you prolly can guess why.]

4 Likes

Queen Anne’s Lace.

sigh

It’s back. Unidentified all over New England and New York and probably the entire eastern half of North America, not to mention where it’s actually native.

I distinctly remember cleaning it up quite a bit last winter, but … it’s back. Time for another cup of tea. And maybe some more of the Thanksgiving gingerbread, just to fortify myself.

3 Likes

I did get out, was good.

That seems…easy to ID too? I often find it in the non-RG stack in AL though certain times of the year. There is def a lot of it around.

1 Like

Yes, it’s pretty easy to ID, although I refrain from IDing photos that just show leaves, not flowers or fruits. I get all those “lacy” leaves mixed up too easily.

4 Likes

There aren’t any other similar species in its tribe in NA?

I’m not the best at plants, but with the flowers the clusters look unique to me from similar native ones…i look at the ones with flowers, that’s when everyone takes photos of them anyway.

1 Like

Yes, but the others are distinctive in their own ways, at least here in the northeastern US. And Queen Anne’s Lace, which is invasive here, is extremely common, quite showy in bloom, and quite likely to be photographed by new iNatters, it seems.

3 Likes

I was inspired to go through Apiaceae (carrot family) in North America to see what I could do about Queen Anne’s Lace and other species. (I’ve done 20 of 6500 pages – I won’t get through them all.) There are indeed lots Queen Anne’s Lace awaiting ID. Interestingly, the Computer Vision is misidentifying those dead Allium vineale (wild garlic) with a lot of flowers among the bulblets as Queen Anne’s Lace! A surprise.

5 Likes