#IdentiFriday is the happiest day of the week

Working on finally finishing this set of observtions, would like someone else from general insect iders to come through those, there’re many that I ided by they still were left at Pterygota. https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/identify?iconic_taxa=Insecta&place_id=7161&lrank=subclass

2 Likes

My guess is that this is a “steady state concentration” and that Unknown id’ers are keeping it tamped down over time. But I have no feel for how fast the % would change if everybody just stopped.

I do notice as I annotate Lepidoptera that many obs (probably over 1%) at that level are labeled as such by “the regulars”, not by the original observers. But I don’t know how to quantitate that either.

3 Likes

I’d say maybe 10-15% at max (which is a lot), there’re a lots of unknowns uploaded, but also much more ided observations. Also, many unknowns go straight to casual obs with missing data or then marked captive (and not ided).

2 Likes

That´s interesting

for Colombia it looks like this

Total needs ID: 535.320
from that unknowns: 9.810
kingdom level plant: 20.070 – family level: 17.070 – genus level: 75.480 – species level plant: 59.160
kingdom level fungi 7.000 – family level: 2.220 – genus level: 13.410 – species level: 4.200
kingdom level animalia 570 – family level: 46.590 – genus level: 92.670 – species level: 49.860

plantae (total) 207.750
animalia (total) 277.920
fungi (total) 37.590

3 Likes

And lots of lovely new (plant for me) species in the latest CV update. Including one orchid from our weekly Fynbos Rambles. And lots of still new to me species (mostly out of my immediate range)
So satisfying to see that helpful database growing as we watch.

4 Likes

Cool, saw you were even able to improve some. Thank you! :-)

1 Like

AHHHH under 1000 pages left as I work my way through Alabama’s non-RG
(I have looked through over 9000 pages thus far!)

9 Likes

Wow, impressive!

1 Like

down to triple digits :grin:

6 Likes

Today I added IDs to 150+ observations previously IDed as genus Bacopa. Some things were not Bacopa at all. I’ve got IDing Bacopa caroliniana and Bacopa monnieri down. Still need to learn to confidently ID the other (rarer) species in the US. I’m now No. 8 on the leader board for Bacopa, No. 10 for B. monnieri, and No. 4 for B. caroliniana.

5 Likes

Anyone willing to tackle a fresh delivery at the West African fish project?
I can’t. Marking those Unknowns as Reviewed, Next.

I was rough sorting to ray or cartilage fish, crabs, shrimps, shellfish, maybe turtle shark ray. If we can move them from Unknown to a filterable taxon, that helps. Then annotate as dead.

It is a deliberate project between local scientists and the fishermen who record their catch.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/identify?per_page=10&iconic_taxa=unknown&order_by=observed_on&place_id=97392&project_id=123926

I will keep chewing at the 1K green and planty residue.

1 Like

I’ve seen those observations occasionally. I think the project is great and I did what I could right then to move some observations out of Unknown - but I understand why you just can’t right now!

1 Like

Did one ever ask them, why thy do not at least put the label “fish” on it themselfs? It would reach the right people which might be able to idetify it much faster… and I guess that would be the goal of such a project

1 Like

I think they need at least mark the location right, I also was on a market recently where had fresh local fish, but withut knowing when and where exactly, it’s not postable on iNat, this user clearly thinks otherwise.

It is caught for seafood - so includes lots that is not ‘fish’. A delicate balance between scientists seeking to record data, and local fishermen with cellphones. Not ‘citizen scientists’ but busy earning a living.

We have had other threads about meat and fish at markets (fruit and veg too come to that) We can only use the location of the market, and scientists must process the available data.

1 Like

Yes, and that’s where it’s stated as in other cases if you use a spot where the organism was moved, as well as current time, it’s a captive organism.

1 Like

It’s Friday! Today I want to help Kurgan oblast, now they have around 4,4k of need ids, let’s make this number lower together!
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/identify?place_id=134700

1 Like

I’m checking Pacific (Hawaii, NZ, and all the tiny islands) and Caribbean (islands plus Central America) Apocrita and Aculeata today while soccer is on TV in the background

4 Likes

Still chewing thru the broad planty down to family for the Cape Pensinsula. Retrieving obs that were binned for 5 years …

4 Likes