#IdentiFriday is the happiest day of the week

Thanks a lot for taking the look eventhrough I deleted(lol) by mistak, and yey I would keep these tips in mind, but most of the time I am just in hurry lol, I will keep in mind next time :)

1 Like

Identifiers please help? Insect people say - it’s a seed, plant people say - never seen a seed like that. I still think it is a cryptic insect. Anyone?

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/106687320

1 Like

I don’t see the discrete body segments of an insect. Where is the head? I agree that fron a distance, it looks a bit like a leaf insect facing to the left; but between the two symmetrical lobes (“first legs”), the little pointy section doesn’t have the structures of a head.

“Search the web for this image” is still spinning, which i take to mean that nobody has ever uploaded anything like this before.

2 Likes

I do not know what that is, but it brought to mind one photo I spent quite a bit of time trying to get. The subject looked rather like this.
I saw it on a bracken and did my best to sneak in without flushing it, checking my shadow,moving closer. Got it! Still couldn’t figure it out. Went all the way up to it, didn’t move. Then I saw it was a piece of a pinecone!

2 Likes

The observer is going back to try and find another one. With better pictures next time.
Still stuck at - not plant, not fungus / lichen, not insect.

A scale from a conifer? I wonder.

1 Like

I actually would think that a barky scale or something would be a good guess. But I still think it´s probably a part of a plant that will not spark so much regognition… it might stay unidentified for quite a while

1 Like

If it is plant - the shape and colour are unusual. When the right biologist sees it, we will get an ID. Too small and thin for something like a scale from a pine cone.

Ya well, that is in the end true for every observation… :wink: … but I think this will be the crux here

1 Like

I thought perhaps a very small mushroom?

1 Like

I still think it’s some sort of seed

1 Like

Nope - I asked jurga li - not fungi or lichen. And 2 mushroom people for Madagascar. (But it does look mushroom coloured)

Every one insists It Is NOT Mine!

Anne Katrine - botany prof said not a seed.

https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/weirdwildwonders

1 Like

I also wondered, then I noticed our mystery had been added to the appropriate project.

1 Like

It’s Friday again, I hope we all have a good time today, maybe someone chooses a theme or posts a link to their observations to id!

4 Likes

It would be great if someone wants to try to ID some of my observations! I’ll try to assemble some categories; maybe Larus, random plants, tricky flying birds, fungi…

2 Likes

Okay, here are a few options to look through:

Larus
Plants above Family
Difficult birds

1 Like

Anyone want to check out my insects and arachnids in need of ID?
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=any&quality_grade=needs_id&user_id=lappelbaum&verifiable=any&iconic_taxa=Insecta,Arachnida

1 Like

Okay, I also have a request for two of my main enemies, Herring gull and moose, where most observations are pretty easy, but there’re likely too many Larus observations ppl have to dig through and no local mammal expert on iNat to help with the second.

I have to boast: A week ago, starting on that Friday, 42 iNatters spent 48 hours reducing the number of Needs ID New England plant observations by 12,477. We reduced the numbers of those observations already at species level by 10,961. By comparison, the equivalent numbers from the weekend before were 916 and 557.

As a friend of mine commented, it’s amazing what a group of dedicated people can accomplish. (Particularly when they start on a Friday!)

13 Likes

Great! I was wondering how your idea for that project was going–sounds like success.