Identifyer Leaderboard

Well I’m going to admit I’m very disappointed to see the leaderboard gone.
My way of looking at iNat is on the identify page, with the “Needs Id” filter set, for all of South Australia.
I never “piled” on id’s just to run up the leaderboard.
But it gave me a sense of pride when I hit the top, and found it interesting to see who else was making an effort to help others.
I tried to comment on the page that discussed it’s removal but it’s closed.
Sure, I agree, it could have been better. Some way of counting only the 1st id’s to stop people piling on id’s, and a count/statistic of how many were wrong. And it was only a list of 10, would have been good to see more on there.
One thing people never discussed is those experts who make the 10th id then get notified if someone tries to change it. Perhaps the “follow” button needs to be given more prominence?
Has the leaderboard removal stopped me id’ing for others? No, I do it because educating people about what’s out there is the best way to protect it. Plus I learn when I make an error and an expert corrects me.
Has it reduced my enjoyment of using iNat? Yes. I use numbers to help me gauge my success. I was just off 10,000 id’s for others and was going to crack a bottle of bubbly when I hit the milestone. I’ll never see that now :-(
The other conversation about this made it sound as though you were childish to care about such things. Maybe, but we all need to listen to our inner child at times :-)
Here’s a personal leaderboard we maintain on our own web site (under “Statistics”) which we’ve been maintaining for years before we joined iNat:
www.ellura.info/Help.html
Thanks for listening.
Cheers
Brett

6 Likes

This was only one place where you can see number of your id’s.
You can see it on your profile page, or if you look on Explore page, you can see it on Leaderboard list.

5 Likes

Hey Brett, this link shows the leaderboard for you for South Australia:
https://www.inaturalist.org/observations?place_id=6899&subview=grid&view=identifiers

Only 21 away, you can start getting that bubbly ready! And you better look out, I’m closing in ;)

6 Likes

Thanks Ribabo, do you mean “was NOT” the only place. I knew about the title page, but that included random id’s elsewhere in the country. I think the Explorer page page you mention is the same one Thomas linked to?
That’s awesome Thomas, didn’t know about that page/filter. And look there’s over 100 people on there! Woo hoo :-)
Looks like I’ll be cracking that bottle open tonight ;-)
I’ve noticed you’ve been id’ing some really interesting bugs of late that I don’t recognise. Very interesting. There’s a lot of newbies atm. Must be something to do with this City Challenge thing about to start?

Thank you

… who needs that silly leader board on the id page ;-)

6 Likes

Yeah for sure, plenty of people joining to get ready

2 Likes

I like leaderboards and stats and things like that too but have been using the date and location filters for a while anyway. But why are you fellow Aussies using the “American” iNaturalist - you should be using the Australian branch https://inaturalist.ala.org.au :)

3 Likes

Please make an argument why what you’re suggesting using the Aus branch at ALA would be better…

1 Like

I don’t see a difference. We still get the same competitive and often incorrect ID’s from the other side of the world (and for me the off-putting thing whether it is Aus or parent site California is scores).

1 Like

If you associate to the Aus node ALA can get your unobscured location (I believe) and you only get extra banners from ALA, which means none really (i.e. no please for donations). Other than that it is pretty much the same.

1 Like

Thanks everyone.
Yes I use the https://inaturalist.ala.org.au/ but it makes more difficult in the end. Most links are to the generic iNat site and so have to convert. They are different log ins (like Thomas’ above) so can’t even just view for a quick look while logged into inat.au
I’d have hoped that the “guess” from the iNat system (which is very good) would limit to Ozzie species.
But it guesses from the world and so we have to keep correcting all these newbie id’s that are made for US/Europe species usually.

This feature request would solve the links going to a different domain, please vote for it. What bothers me is its so easy to implement but gets ignored because most people use the main iNat domain (NZ’ers excepted).

1 Like

oneanttoofew (gr8 name by the way ;-)
I think the Aus site is more accessible to Atlas.
I think they upload faster from there and can access actual co-ord’s instead of hidden. ie they are trusted, not like the general public view of your obs.
But I’m not sure on this. Otherwise it seems a waste of time.

I’ve been thinking more on this.
Matthew Connors contacted me this week lamenting the end of Bowerbird.
I think many of us felt it was a more social, friendly community than iNat.
On iNat it’s like your in a queue at the shops and people keep on barging in, jumping the queue.
Few people take the time to explain why they’ve disagreed with your id.
While I accept I’m often wrong, I know I’m a lot more often correct and learning from those who know more is the only way I can help others keep id’s more accurate.
I think the leaderboard concept introduces competition which is bad for a harmonious sharing community.
Bowerbird only had a leaderboard on observations, which is a good thing, regardless of why ;-) I accept there is a quality issue with some ob’s.
So I’ve come to think that oneanttofew is correct, regardless of how much I’ve appreciated/enjoyed seeing other people’s scores/points. It’s not adding to nor helping the friendly spirit of teamwork we need to make iNat work; it’s detracting from it.
Having iNat provide your own personal stat’s is another matter.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.