If you could rename an existing species

The scientific name isn’t too bad, but I really think that Ossiannilssonola tunicarubra should be given “Candy Corn Leafhopper” as a common name. The resemblance is undeniable.

4 Likes

That’s as helpful as arvensis (of the field). I’ve found them these two growing in lawns and corners:

I recently came across Megalonotus sabulicola, with the English common name, " Introduced Dirt-colored Seed Bug". Given my first thought was, “Introduced to where?”, I wouldn’t be upset to see that one renamed.

The Glossary of British Flora states that sabulicola means ‘substantive, a dweller on sand’ and I will admit to liking the sound of ‘Sandy …’ more.

1 Like

I am lucky as Anna’s Hummingbirds are profuse year round in the Calif. Bay Area. The Oholone peoples called them Umunhum, which is just like the sounds their wings make.

Chungus Millipede

edit: i’m sorry i didn’t realize how old this post is

I was not aware of this name change; thank you for pointing it out!

1 Like

I don’t know what I would change it to, but I would like to change dickcissel. I have no idea how to pronouce this and where the heck did this name come from anyway

It’s pronounced dick-sis-el. The name is onomatopoetic.

Maybe breaking down the Euphorbia genus down into more genres?

The fact that these three are the same genus:

But these three aren’t in the same genus:

Has always stupefied me. It’s almost as if the Euphorbia species are like dog-breeds of the plant world.

@nathantaylor has lots of good information on how these are grouped here, which helps a lot!

1 Like

It’s genetic.

According to a 2002 publication on studies of DNA sequence data,[20][21][22] most of the smaller “satellite genera” around the huge genus Euphorbia nest deep within the latter. Consequently, these taxa, namely the never generally accepted genus Chamaesyce , as well as the smaller genera Cubanthus ,[23] Elaeophorbia , Endadenium , Monadenium , Synadenium , and Pedilanthus were transferred to Euphorbia . The entire subtribe Euphorbiinae now consists solely of the genus Euphorbia .

2 Likes

That makes sense, thanks! I assume if they’re all Euphorbia it’s because much smarter and more informed people than me have for placed them there for very good phylogenic reasons.

It’s still just a little frustrating that seeing one Euphorbia doesn’t help much in getting a sense for all of them since they’re so different and sometimes finding the cyathium (another good @nathantaylor resource) and checking for very-flowy white sap aren’t always viable identifiers depending on time of year.

Still referred to as Gypsy Moth in the UK apparently though.: https://www.ukmoths.org.uk/species/lymantria-dispar/