I'm being automatically logged out of iNaturalist

I found myself logged out, too, this morning. This is the first time since my last post seven days ago that this happened again. It seemed to remember me just fine over the last week. This is on my old desktop at home running Firefox (91.0.2) on Windows 7 where I always set it to remember me when I log in. I did also log in from work yesterday without the remember me setting (I don’t use it on my office computer), which I didn’t have time for during the last week. I’m not sure if that could have triggered it? Usually the login/remember behavior acts independent from computer to computer as far as I can tell, presumably because it depends on cookies set on each computer I guess.

1 Like

Was just logged out again, although for the first time ever my username and password had been filled in automatically.

1 Like

I am using the same browser to log in every time, Firefox 87.0 on Fedora Linux 32. It is accepting cookies.

When the problem happens, my browser sends the cookie, but the response by the server contains a Set-Cookie header that resets the expiration on the cookie back to zero, then redirects to the login page. I traced this with the browser development tools.

I have no objection to your experimenting with my account for troubleshooting.

Thanks, @tlit46. Yeah, I saw your developer tools info, which is helpful, but still just a symptom. My current diagnosis is that an email confirmation system that we’re not quite using is causing the sign outs, so the change I made previously was to set the grace period for unconfirmed access to be very long, but that didn’t seem to work. What I just tried was to manually mark your account as “confirmed,” so let me know if you get signed out again (zero day cookie expiration and redirect). If you do, I need to come up with a new hypothesis to test.

For people discussing their username and password getting filled out automatically, that’s not us. That’s your browser, or maybe a password management system you’re using.

1 Like

Logged out again today. It was ok for a few days.

Update: it has been okay since my last comment here. The website remembers me whenever I open the browser (iNat is one of my homepages).

Will post another comment if the issue returns

I’m still having the problem. Since your post, I’ve logged in seven or eight times, and had been forgotten on three of those.

At this point, since this is more of an inconvenience than a real problem, I’m OK if you want to move this to the back burner. I know you have lots of other more important things to deal with.

1 Like

New update: it happened again just now. I’m not sure if it is related, but I checked the iNaturalist app before the problem occurred.

I found myself logged out multiple times yesterday, but when I logged in today just now my login was still present.

To be clear, you mean that after signing in successfully you visited the website seven or eight more times and on three of those you had been automatically signed out? Or are you saying you are signing in and then being immediately signed out again?

I think it’s the first one. I have never had a case where I successfully signed in and then got immediately signed out.

It happens when I restart the browser after a period of time when it had not been running, then connect to www.inaturalist.org/home. Sometimes, I get connected and am already logged in (remembered from previously). Other times, the first thing I see is the login screen.

When it happens, It is always after a fresh restart of Firefox. But sometimes, the login is remembered under that same scenario.

1 Like

I’ve been getting logged out regularly for maybe a week or so now. At first I thought it was just when I switched between my laptop and desktop computers but I didn’t use my laptop yesterday and it made me log in again this morning.

Edit: 4.5 hours later and it logged me out again. I did close the browser for awhile in that interval.

I just had to log in after not being on the site maybe 5 minutes.

still happening here (Chrome version 92 point god knows what) on Windows 10

I think it was ok for a few days, now getting logged out again
Chrome on Android, havent checked on desktop

1 Like

“I thought it was just me.” For about a week now, I’ve been logged out irregularly after closing my browser (Safari 14.1.2 on a Mac desktop). Not all the time, just sometimes. Safari does glitchy things very frequently when going back and forth within iNat (e.g. in the Explore page, etc., etc.) but I’ve gotten used to those quirks just indicating that Safari doesn’t always remember where I was last. But the irregular logging out is a new glitch happening recently. I also thought it might have coincided with the passage of Hurricane Ida (since that’s about when it started) but I have no knowledge of the network/server configuration that iNaturalist runs on.

I commented about this in the other thread but will repeat it here.

I found a workaround that works for my system. Using a Firefox extension (Quick Cookie Manager), I modified the iNat session cookie to expire at a fixed future date rather than at the end of the session. This prevents deletion of the session cookie when the browser is closed. SInce then, I have connected a dozen or so times without being sent to the login page.

This is not really a proper solution, but it is working for the moment, with no adverse affects noted.

2 Likes

Getting this a lot lately, all browsers. Mobile and desktop.

It appears whenever I close my browser now I’m getting logged out, regardless of whether I checked the “remember me” box or not.

2 Likes

For me the logging out is rather unpredictable and intermittent so it’s hard to say why it happens when it does. Happens mostly when I’m accessing the webpage using latest version of Chrome. Sometimes annoyingly frequent but not often. Might be tough to diagnose.

2 Likes