Images on the login screen

(moved the above post to this thread)

They’re chosen by staff. In some cases, they’ve been suggested by network site admins.

They’re supposed to be randomly shown, I believe. Are you logging in at inaturalist.org, or one of the member sites? Network sites only show observations from the Log In Photos project that were observed in that location.

2 Likes

Random. Always glad when that spider turns up to wave hello (especially since my iNat photos have mysteriously returned :~))

Yes, but I sometimes question if it’s working as designed. If I reload the page many times in a row I often see repeats more often than I think I would if it was totally random.

I login twice every day - and haven’t noticed an immediate repeat.

2 Likes

Perhaps if images were retired from the line-up after a certain time period, that would make it seem less repetitive. Of course you’d have to be adding regularly to keep from depleting the supply.

Well, as per the project description, “Photos should be high resolution, portrait orientation (or be capable of being cropped to portrait orientation and still show the subject clearly), roughly center-focused, and generally appealing, e.g. no potentially disturbing images like those depicting violence or the results of violence.” So there’s nothing inherently preventing a mallard observation from making the “front page” if it meets those criteria.

Familiarity may breed contempt, but you have to admit that the mallard is, in itself, a visually beautiful bird.

3 Likes

The project description says, “The observer’s user icon should be equally unoffensive.”

Well, that can be quite broadly intepreted. I have stumbled across user icons that could be considered offensive – one was blatantly Islamophobic, for example – but short of that, it’s hard to predict who is going to be offended by what.

In my user icon, I’m in my swimsuit. Now, I had a family member unfollow me on Facebook when I used a swimsuit picture as my avatar there; that crossed one of their lines. I’m not going to change it here; I think of my iNat page as a place where I can be me and express myself, and I don’t care whether my observations make the front page or not.

1 Like

Naked Dave has a user icon, in the same line.

1 Like

No, I said that I was always careful to include the part at the bottom that cites the observer, the name of the organism and the location.

I log in at inaturalist.org. Love those green mushrooms but I seem to see them every day or two.

Curiosity got the best of me and I found Naked Dave in iNat’s People Search. I don’t think it’s offense. Maybe artistic? In the same line, I’d say it’s not incorrect to say that both profiles show a man in a suit.

1 Like

Not remotely offensive. A photo of - a live version of - Michelangelo’s David. Part of nature. We are all interested in What Plant is That?
His user name is fair warning if you plan to be Offended.

1 Like

Random tho, would show Bell curve random repeats. Not a statistician, but you would need to add a logic step. Random, but exclude what you have shown in the last … week? I don’t care if My Spider says Hi again. Currently have someone very kindly clearing CPT spider subspecies backlog so my iNat notifications is All Spider.

Well, since no one has been able to tell me if my sharing of photos to FB (WITH photographer’s name, species name and location) is a copyright violation, I will have to wait until some one confronts me about them.

Have a look at your photos on your FB. Your screenshot is there as ‘your’ photo? You can easily share an active link from iNat? I am on a laptop, perhaps it is more complicated on a cellphone.

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/

Please just check the copyright settings the photographer selected and act according to that directive.

Really, no one here can tell give you a blanket ‘it’s okay’. It depends on the protections the individual photographers set in place for their photos. While many may have a permissive license designated, others may not - especially professional or semi-professional photographers.

3 Likes

You can filter by what type of license you are looking for:

As far as I know, none of us are lawyers so I don’t think anyone can give you a definitive answer, if that’s what you’re looking for. But I think it’s best to

and as @dianastuder said, you can just paste in the URL of the observation itself. Facebook should pull in the image from the observation as well as its ID and who uploaded it. eg

2 Likes

FB does pull in all the info, and the active link. I use it to promote iNat to a wider interested audience.

I am a librarian and I wince every time someone shares a picture, or text from Unknown. (Not in Jane’s case, I hasten to add)

There is so much wonderful info available across iNat! Had a ‘what is this’ question on FB, and I could link to a relevant obs on iNat after searching from Pelargonium ish and Augrabies for location

1 Like

Maybe I’m just being haunted by those green mushrooms! LOL!

1 Like