In what manner do you use the computer vision (CV)?

I use CV when I have no idea. Then, based on the suggestions, I browse the taxonomy and try to find a reasonable ID, at a broad enough taxonomical rank.

I also use CV as a reminder, for species I have already observed, whose name I don’t remember.

I don’t use CV just to avoid typing a name I already know.
Because the auto-completion is very efficient.
Because I copy/paste the name in the photo file name before uploading, as described here:
https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/extract-species-name-from-photo-filename-upon-upload/6510/13

3 Likes

I do a simple copy and paste if I intend on uploading the same species over and over. I do end up doing that a lot. Not as high tech as that link. I upload on my phone and literally just type the species and then copy and paste it over and over. That’s a situational thing though. Only is handy sometimes.

4 Likes

Very few people are expert identifiers in all the areas of plant and animal life. My personal expertise is with birds and I use eBird to record most of those but anything is of interest and I am a natural lister of anything that can be listed … thus, unless I know for certain what I am looking at I use the AI suggestions to at least get me reasonably close to a valid ID and then I get out the books and try to convince myself of what I should be reporting. In other words, it’s great for narrowing the field and saving a lot of time - plus I learn as I go, as should we all (and I still get stuff wrong).

6 Likes

I use it pretty well all the time. e.g. Sometimes I know a plant as False Solomon’s Seal but it is shown as Solomon’s Plume ( same Latin name) so I will show it as Solomon’s Plume. Also some mushrooms names change, so I check in my nature books and then usually decide on the CV suggestion. Sometimes I ignore an absurd suggestion and sometimes on an unknown where It doesn’t match anything I can find i just remove the observation.

2 Likes

I’ve never even thought of doing that - brilliant! Plus, and call me a dummy for not knowing this, but how can you choose, or change which photo is the featured one?

1 Like

While uploading (at least on the web - I’ve never used the app) just choose the photo you want to be first and drag the other pictures onto it. If you accidentally put the wrong one first, it gets annoying, but you can drag them all back off and put them onto the “correct” one.

2 Likes

Also if you mess up you can edit the observation after you upload and reorder the photos

5 Likes

So I’ve heard. I didn’t include it since I could never figure out how to do it.

1 Like

Well, open edit and on the right under photos is the button to reorder photos.

4 Likes

Why does it matter if the observer withdraws an AI/CV (or non AI-assisted) ID? While I try hard to check the AI’s recommendation carefully, the workflow of this site has never led me to think that my ID - assisted or not - has greater weight than the consensus of agreeing or dissenting IDs. I’d be happy to adapt if there’s a best-practice I’m not aware of.

1 Like

What exactly do you mean? There’re many reasons to withraw, if you use cv and an expert isagrees, big chances they’re correct and cv not, so why having an obs at higher level and create more tasks for iders? It really can require years to have somebody else to check it when it could take hours if observer withdrew their wrong id.
If a new user agrees, imo it’s easier to mark observation as “can be imroved” so it stays in id pool, it’s a big problem with new users, I had multiple instances where they first agreed with id, then asked me how I ided it!

6 Likes

It’s not that it has greater weight, just that it has any weight. I’m also not talking about a situation in which I looked at the different AI suggestions, researched them, and came to a conclusion (which I think is great practice but I would call that my ID, not an AI ID), but rather one where I’m using an AI ID without any expertise of my own.

I listed two scenarios:

1. Someone else offers a different ID that conflicts with my AI ID. The AI ID I posted has a reasonable chance of being wrong. It also doesn’t represent my expertise. If I leave it up and require three other people to disagree with it to get the observation to RG, I’m placing a lot of faith in that AI ID and also causing extra work for IDers. The observation also may not ever get to RG (which, if it can, I’d prefer, as I personally value RG observations more) - for some species, finding three IDers with expertise isn’t easy! In my mind, the AI ID would have done its job in this scenario, even if it remove it - getting the eyes of someone who has some expertise on the observation. I’m content to let the human-moderated id process of iNat proceed from there.

2. A new or inexperienced user agrees with my AI ID. In this case, I don’t know whether the new user has any expertise in this organism or not, but there’s a reasonable chance that they don’t and are just learning how to ID. A lot of beginning users agree a fair amount when they should not, leading to erroneous RG observations (most IDers have seen this, even without AI ids added to the mix!) In this case, I care more about avoiding a mistakenly RG observation than having an RG observation that I don’t have much faith in. If the new IDer is correct, then it’s likely that the next person who can ID will be able to hit “agree” quickly and move on, and the observation will be RG and done. If the new user was incorrect, then other IDers may be able to catch the issue and ID correctly, instead of the observation becoming RG and leaving the needs ID pool where it will be much less likely to get another pair of eyes on it. You could also tick the “ID can still be improved” box while leaving the AI ID as well, but I like the AI identification withdrawal method myself (I always forget to uncheck the improved box…)

4 Likes

Sometimes I know the taxon, but the name slips my mind. So I will bring up computer vision to see if it can jog my memory.

3 Likes

A common example I see is a bee-mimic which takes 6 people to overcome 1 incorrect initial ID :
e.g.
original ID incorrectly places a bee-mimic incorrectly as a honey bee…
1x bee identifier says not a bee but a hoverfly! This takes observation taxon to Pterygota.
2 x Pterygota identifiers add weight to place observation taxon as Syrphidae
3 x Syrphidae identifiers place to species and it finally becomes Research Grade

In comparison with user withdrawal where it might take only 3 people :
e.g.
original ID incorrectly places a bee-mimic incorrectly as a honey bee…
1x bee identifier says not a bee but a hoverfly!
original ID withdrawn by user. Now observation is placed in Syrphidae
2 x Syrphidae identifiers place to species and it becomes Research Grade

6 users for one observation is a lot of community effort to overcome a single incorrect ID, given that in some geographies (and taxa) we simply don’t have this many identifiers active all the time. I often find observations like these which have just ended up stuck at coarser levels for years.

9 Likes

Many times I’ve used the CV to point me towards an ID which I was later able to verify. I’m most likely to use it when I have no clue what something is.

Usually, the hardest thing for me is when I see a plant that is in a completely unfamiliar taxon to me. So for instance, either it’s a family I don’t know at all, or perhaps it’s an unfamiliar genus within a huge family or other grouping, and for whatever reason, the dichotomous keys are not working for me (I know this may not be a popular sentiment but I find many dichotomous keys near-useless) to narrow it down.

So here the CV comes in and I can either see…wow, it looks right, and it points me to the general place where I can then look up the ID rigorously in my books, web references, check BONAP’s county range maps, etc. Or…wow this is gloriously wrong and I can just move on.

Interestingly, when it gets the ID close, I’d say well over half the time it gets the species correct too. But also frequently, the species is wrong but it’s a close guess, usually in the same genus. Sometimes it gives three guesses and one of them is correct but not necessarily the top one.

Overall, I’m surprised at how good it is. But, like any AI, it’s almost comical how, in spite of being pretty useful, it can sometimes be outright ridiculous.

As a side note I wish there were a way to activate the CV and have it give me an ID, but restricted to a particular taxon. Sometimes I have something, for instance, that I know is in a particular tribe of the aster family, but I don’t know what it is, and the CV is guessing stuff outside the tribe, perhaps even outside the aster family, and so it’s obviously wrong and useless. But I wonder if I would be able to get it to make a correct or at least closer ID if I could somehow pass it information to restrict the search to a particular taxon. This would make it much more powerful.

But it’s already pretty good.

3 Likes

You can actually do this! Though only in the Identify tool right now, and i am not sure if it still takes into account ‘nearby species’. It is a neat option and it would be nice to have it more widely available. See below.

Search only in sedges:

Making it search in ‘dicots’ which of course is wrong since it is actually a sedge:

6 Likes

Oooooh thanks so much I am going to check this out this!!! This may help me crack a few challenging observations that were giving me trouble!!!

3 Likes

It shows the same thing as what you get while uploading (Visually Similar / Seen Nearby) as long as you filter by “Visually Similar”. If you filter by “Observations” instead, it doesn’t show Visually Similar or Seen Nearby, but it automatically filters by a Place, which you can change.

Also, note to anyone who doesn’t know this; you can bring up this interface from an observation page by clicking “Compare” on any ID.

4 Likes

How to reorder photos:

3 Likes

Hi… a basic way to deal with advancing consideration through man-made reasoning is to utilize innovation to screen wellbeing.

A few organizations and their examination divisions are creating Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) instruments that can use information from video, as CCTV cameras, cell phones, and others, to make apparatuses that can help care for the older.

Such examination speculations are especially advantageous in states and nations where the older consideration industry needs work force and assets.