iNat couples :)

There’s that old myth that the best way for a guy to attract women is to adopt a cute puppy and take it to the park with him on a regular basis to “fish” for a mate. Maybe it’s worked, once or twice. The dedicated nature nerd probably needs something else – maybe a pet snake, iguana, or tarantula that you take for a walk. You’ll probably repel the individuals who are not a good match, but maybe attract one who is.

1 Like

Yes I will start walking around covered in my beloved invasive weeds. I see no downside to this. Come get me ladies. XD

I do have a cat who walks on a harness but is also terrified of cars so we can only walk at night.

9 Likes

Might as well both be awkward, it’s easier that way :laughing:

4 Likes

maybe woven into a tiara or a necklace? i think that could look quite nice.

4 Likes

Nonsense. I can think of several people I don’t hate. At least not much.

6 Likes

While we didn’t meet through iNat, my fiancé and I did meet at the Hog Island Audubon Camp in Maine during a “Coastal Maine Bird Studies for Teens” program, so nature definitely had something to do with our coming together in the first place.

We travel back to the place we met on our anniversary every year, and when I proposed this year, besides the usual channels of phone calls, texts, and social media posts, we also announced our engagement as an iNaturalist post and an eBird checklist!

9 Likes

Tangentially related, but I also made sure to iNat and eBird the wedding of my longtime birding and nature study mentor:

https://ebird.org/pa/checklist/S57931705

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/28214130

3 Likes

What a lovely story💕! That is so rewarding to read about here. Much happiness!

2 Likes

Yes! @hydaticus and I are an iNat couple <3! We were in the same PhD program, but in different years and we didn’t know each other until an iNat bioblitz hosted by @sambiology. By the second of Sam’s bioblitzes, the epic Val Verde County camping trip, @hydaticus and I drove down together and spent practically the whole time together. We obviously got along really well and now we are engaged to be married (how? when? only Covid knows) and we have a one-year old daughter! We are still taking iNat trips together. We actually had gigs as professional iNatters in British Colombia, Canada while I was quite pregnant (see project https://www.inaturalist.org/projects/kkl-jh-bms-jdr-gr-an-rd)! Our daughter has spent 8 nights tent camping in her first year and she loves it. Maybe we are the ones @tiwane was thinking about…?

21 Likes

Oh OH OHHH! One of the better love stories I’ve heard in YEARS! :star_struck:

1 Like

Yup!

Here’s my little video of that event:

Southwest Texas iNat-a-thon 2018 from iNaturalist on Vimeo.

14 Likes

Ha, no, we didn’t meet through iNat. Ivan (my husband) does have an iNat account and will reluctantly use it when I tell him to during things like the City Nature Challenge, but luckily he also has endless patience for my iNatting and is willing to let me make all our outings extra looooong with all of my stopping and photographing things. :joy:

10 Likes

Omg that looks so fun I wish I had more time (and lack of covid in the country) to travel to stuff like that.

3 Likes

Such a great video, @tiwane! Fun to watch it again. Ah, memories…

4 Likes

I have seen quite a few on INAT that would be fun to hang out with :)

2 Likes

I wish I meet my future partner on iNat, or at least some nature related event/platform!

4 Likes

Man, I need to go on one of those outings!

1 Like

Why is that so funny

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.