iNat home swap vacation: your dream exchange

Anyone up for a few days in the coastal Atlantic Forest in Ubatuba, Brazil?
Ubatuba has one of the greatest biodiversity on the planet

4 Likes

I would love to go back to Bhutan - mountains, valleys, hills, rivers, forests! So many (to me) exotic species from takins and water buffalo to langurs and a myriad of birds (cranes!), plus gorgeous butterfly/moths And amazing plants. Also, the government and people genuinely seem to care about protecting nature.

I especially like @graysquirrel ’s version of host/tour swaps.

6 Likes

@dianastuder has raved about the fynbos so much, I want to see it when it all flowers!

2 Likes

We have seen Tecomaria and Plumbago growing wild in the Eastern Cape. Scrambling up trees. UP up up! Frightening when you come home and warily eye your garden plants. At Addo, proof against a herd of elephants. You have been warned, if you are in a temperate climate.

@jasonhernandez74 it always flowers!
https://eefalsebay.blogspot.com/p/hiking.html

2 Likes

I’d love to go back to Iceland. My two visits there certainly increased my appreciation for Alpine plants and my fascination for moss & lichen. Sometime I want to be there when the berries ripen. However, I enjoy right where I live in Subtropical South Carolina. We have not yet had a heavy frost so bees and butterflies are still busy with native sunflowers, asters, and goldenrod.

2 Likes

Love that idea! How great to get together with like-minded people and show them your favourite local spots and then do the reverse in their country. We love to travel overseas, but as with you, that has been on hold due to Covid.

We love living in New Zealand but sometimes it feels that we are such a long way from other countries. The expense of flying is high and the guilt factor of the carbon footprint is growing.

As a Kiwi, I’m fascinated that Aotearoa (New Zealand) features in so many choices. I guess we would have lots of potential swappers! We would love to go to many countries for the first time and re-visiting, but Central and South America come out on top.

1 Like

Hey, if we would swap, basically nobody would notice, as our nicknames are basically the same (my “aj” is just written out as pronounced in my language) :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

New Zealand and Australia is just a very differnt biome to most other places in the world, which makes it super interesting

2 Likes

One of my brothers lived in NZ for a year, when his wife was there for a study program. I’ve been so envious ever since - I would dearly love to explore there, but the expense and length of the flights has so far stopped me. Perhaps one day. Although I suspect travel may become less possible for ordinary folks in the coming years, due to a variety of reasons.

4 Likes

I would love to swap homes with someone in non-urban South Africa. The plants there can be so weird! I’ve wanted to go there since I learned about Lithops (Living Rock) back in the late 1970s.

I’d also like to visit Fiji with @maractwin. He sees the coolest stuff underwater.

Weirdly I first met our Lithops in the botanical garden in Zurich.

1 Like

Aggghhh! I can’t do I home swap. I have a home but I would want to swap for some place that doesn’t. I really would like is a chance to spend a month or two on an uninhabited island. Just give me enough food for my dog and I and I’m good to go. I’ll bring enough memory cards to record everything I see. I don’t care if it is an arctic island or a tropical one.

1 Like

Oh, this is a fun question! I would have to say either somewhere in New Zealand, Japan or Southeast Asia, primarily for birds and fish.

That’s a cool idea: go somewhere with a low iNat presence and observe things. I’d love to see the deserts and sand dunes of South America.

1 Like

Either a newly emerged (hot) volcanic island. Or one that has been evacuated because it is underwater at high tide. Your dog, may hate you.

Your reply made me smile :grin:

How has it been for you living in Colombia? We tend to hear only the not so good stuff in the media. If you listen too much to that though, you’d never travel anywhere. I tend to believe from travelling experiences that the vast majority of people wherever you go are kind and generous even when they have very little.

I hear the wildlife in Colombia is amazing. The closest we have been is Ecuador, where we spent a month in 2016 and a month in 2019. We absolutely loved the biodiversity, the food and the people we met, but it is a long and expensive trip from New Zealand!

Sounds pretty cool to me!

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.