iNat in the news

https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/science/scientists-conduct-large-scale-study-of-inaturalist-users/

I found this interesting…

9 Likes

Seems interesting! Though the number of observations are really off, aren’t they?

Oh wait nevermind, the study was conducted in 2019 but this article was published a day ago, I believe.

was aslo going to post this study, Quite Interesting I think.

Edit - was intending to bold the word instead "quote closed it. Rectified here @zdanko thanks for pointing out

Why did you put study in quotes?

If anyone’s interested, the paper can be found here: https://doi.org/10.1093/biosci/biab093

1 Like

Fun read, and I’d say largely expected results.

Though beyond the scope of the study, it does bother me a bit that it portrayed researchers only as potential consumers of iNat data, without noting that they can also become active participants in improving the data and the community.

10 Likes

The study has a couple of interesting notes. One line, in the conclusion caught my attention:

iNaturalist as a platform provides substantial value not only as a tool for researchers but as a place for community building and connecting with other naturalists as well.

It would be interesting to see studies on the sociology of iNaturalist. There’s a huge list of studies for studies which use data from iNaturalist (papers up to 2019 and papers from 2020 onward), but most are focused on data assessment, species and range documentation, and morphology.

Also, FYI, you might want to remove the tracking number (everything after the question mark) from the posted URL: https://www.floridamuseum.ufl.edu/science/scientists-conduct-large-scale-study-of-inaturalist-users/

9 Likes

“iNaturalist has grown exponentially by word-of-mouth because people recognize the power of the global community of expertise and the importance of the data we collectively generate,” said Carrie Seltzer, iNaturalist’s stakeholder engagement strategist.

Or you know, they just wanted to know what the flower was called ;)

10 Likes

Fair point ;-)

7 Likes

Apologies was intending to bold not make any comment that indicated anything otherwise. Have rectified it now.

1 Like

Am actually presenting about Citizen Science at a Virtual Conference in a few days

#CitSciIndia2021 13 – 16 September 2021

Conference CitSci India 2021 - National Conference on Citizen Science for Biodiversity

`11:45- 12:00 Community Science and the Biodiversity Picture: Connecting People & Adding Resolution by Ramnarayan Kalyanaraman.
And the Schedule

During analysing some of the data for the presentation of found some interesting angles.

One being that iNaturalist is very driven by smaller events and local groups. Some of the other top citizen science portals have major institutional backing and also institutionalised national and international events.

in India iNaturalist usage is just picking up. In the last year and a half there has been a doubling of observation records.

In India the difference between Ebird and the next biggest app, i.e iNaturalist, is that ebird has almost twice the number of checklists as observation records on inat. Ebird in India has a proper organisational setup and an amazing amount of outreach work , education materials, with regular coordinated events. Conversely iNat is pretty much a volunteer network with some organisations using it as a tool.

Meawhile there is this about birding More Birds Bring More Happiness, According to Science.

Ram

3 Likes

Gave a talk (online) today, at the ongoing online India CitSci 2021 Conference

The talk is titled Community Science and the Biodiversity Picture: Connecting People & Adding Resolution

The talk is now available on you tube here - the video starts from where my presentation starts.

look forward to your comments

warmly
ram

3 Likes

An iNaturalist project on Spotted Lantern Flies being eaten by birds and other animals is mentioned in Audubon Magazine and was used in research on the topic.
https://www.audubon.org/news/birds-are-one-line-defense-against-dreaded-spotted-lanternflies

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.