iNat Year in Review 2021 Released!

On my topic about this the main counterargument other people proposed was that gamifying IDs in any way would supposedly harm data quality.

2 Likes

What’s the problem? No one is really keeping score - it’s just a rather meaningless statistic. There are better things to get worked up about.

1 Like

I never said there was a problem, I just thought it was interesting/wanted to know what was going on.

4 Likes

It was a more diverse year for me, though November trip idn’t happen, it’s just me tired of the forest I live by and finding it really boring to go out alone (and the need to go pretty far to visit new spots that are really the same ecologically).

3 Likes

I went back and added species from my October and November hikes this year and got a rewarding jump in all my stats. I <3 iNat. Next target is September hikes.

2 Likes

How long is this feature available, or is it year-round? I can’t find anywhere with info. I imagine it requires significant resources for something that is, for me at least, mostly fun. Thank you!!

1 Like

Huh. No more so than observations are “gamified” I would say.

happy to see iNat continue to grow but also maybe a break from the exponential growth so the iNat team can catch up! It seems l8ike for the last several years growth has been so fast as to take all the time of the small team, understandably so. While i do want literally everyone to use iNat I also realize that in a world of limited resources (or at least false scarcity created by the socioeconomic system) there needs to be some balance.

5 Likes

You can always open it up using links.

I’m a bit surprised. In my personal stats page I have 612 days streak (10 apr 2020 - 12 dec 2021)

But in site stats I’m not listed in chart, even if there are some users with lesser streaks. What’s can be wrong here? Could there be some timezones glitches, are personal and site stats calculated with different TZ?

It will be regenerated in a week after first one.

1 Like

But current site stats has been regenerated today.

@tiwane could you help us please? I see that it says near streaks that it shows those that started this year or were going at the moment of generating, and for some people it shows those that ended this year, does it mean it doesn’t show all big streaks that ended throughout this year or it’s a bug?

For individual users we’re also including streaks that ended this year.

So on your personal YIR page, long streaks are shown, but on the site stats they won’t be unless they were in progress when stats were generated.

I just want to clear out if it may be in play of how @kildor’s streak isn’t shown as for system it ended on 13th or it’s something else.

We only officially support and promoted it around the end and beginning of each year, but you can generate your stats by going to the proper url and clicking “Regenerate stats” at any time. We can’t guarantee it will work outside of the period where we promote it, or that we’ll fix it if it’s broken, but in my experience it works pretty well throughout the year.

As for resources, it doesn’t take up some resources but individual stats shouldn’t be a big deal if they’re not beign genrated often at the same time by a large number of people. Please do it sparingly, though.

It’s possible, we can take a look.

2 Likes

The greater number of IDs versus Observations is good news but it would be nice to have a metric for how that translates in terns of the number of observations needing ID. Post a moose photo and the IDs keep stacking up but it does nothing to draw down the number of observations waiting for confirmation. Is a metric telling us whether we’re keeping pace or gaining ground something that could be reported without too much bother?

2 Likes

I think the main stats page could be useful for that question, it’d be hard to count things precisely, but graphs show how needs id are changing over time.
upd. says RG changed from 34,5 mil to 51,7 mil from Jan to Nov, it’s more than expressive!

3 Likes

Hey there! I love the graphic of the multi-level pie chart breaking down the diversity of species that I’ve seen. Can this please get integrated into “places”? I’d love to be able to generate these regularly for various nature centers, preserves, etc.

1 Like

Thanks so much for making our information available in such a beautiful format. I found it very useful and interesting to review.

2 Likes