iNaturalist and Search Engines

Those screenshots are from forum posts with fluffyinca’s username attached, they aren’t screenshots taken by the search engine/iNaturalist.

1 Like

This is what I get:

and the images tab lol

3 Likes

I didn’t say that, it’s just interesting it chose images with screenshots, nothing more.

2 Likes

Ah, okay!

Do you know why it doesn’t show any photos from observations? Is it because of copyrights or it just ignores them?

2 Likes

When I search my old username Myles678 this comes up. My observation from https://www.biodiversity4all.org/observations/62431850. Don’t know why it still shows stuff from my old username.

2 Likes

Somewhere there is a glitch. If I search for a taxon, Google offers me iSpot results first. And only afterwards gets to iNaturalist. The search engines seem to be obstructed from iNat? Or haven’t managed to spider thru much yet?

3 Likes

That is just your site cookies. If you go into incognito mode it will likely show you other things. Because you used to use iSpot (or still use, idk), Google remembers that and shows you results from it as high priority.

Interesting question; I think it just looks for everywhere where the keyword is used on the site, and observation aren’t high priority in that list. If you scroll down it might show some, but I don’t know, it’s kind of confusing.

3 Likes

Fact is, there’s not that much to scroll, both mine and luffy inca are no more than 10 lines (and we have to esclude all incas and cake photos from the latter and some mercedes add and other weird stuff from mine, lol), while you’d think it would be associated with tons of photos and pics from website itself like icons, they don’t spy on us good enough! :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

No. I delete cookies every 2 to 4 weeks. Haven’t been near iSpot for years, since South Africa moved to iNat. Cookies would / should tell Google I spend hours on iNat every day, and take me back there as a FIRST choice.

But the search engine is geared to answering people’s queries - how do I grow milkweed, will go to a longish helpful post from a nursery blog, or an enthusiastic monarch waystation. Not to an obs on iNat.

5 Likes

Interesting…

I guess iSpot probably adds comment and description information into the search engine information, so it’s easier to find an answer to a question rather than just an image.

1 Like

but there for example
if I google Pyrrharctia isabella
I do get iNat on the lower part of the first page.

But the spider is picking up - Wikipedia first which is usual.

The iNat entries however are for the taxon, and a relevant project. Not individual obs, which must come back to search engine optimisation choices by iNat? Or privacy concerns?? Or did I miss a search engine visibility setting on my iNat profile?

If I google for images of P. i. then only the iNat project shows up. Plenty of fluff from pinterest and random sites lower down, but no iNat obs.

Whenever you search Google the pattern of the results will be similar.
Google will try to ‘answer your question’ first. Probably from Wiki, but from where actual people have lingered as if they ‘found the answer here’. BTW top question is - are tiger moths dangerous??
Then a block of questions, widening the search (again using previously ‘answered questions’)
Depending on SEO the other results will follow.

3 Likes

Sorry - one more - this - how does Google - fascinates me.

Searching for images - this is the top result (also ranked first within iNat)
Probably because of the ‘Gerald’ discussion showing active engagement.
I hope you will allow the active link - which is about - iNat does accept art work

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/33697516
With MUCH arguing around DQA - wow.

2 Likes

So what. I have perhaps thousands of iNat and eBird findings on the internet from my garden. It would be child’s play to locate me. What’s the problem … I really do not understand the paranoia about this. Drop round and ask about my interesting spiders and unusual birds - happy to chat.

5 Likes

YMMD but others do have issues with their home address being exposed

https://www.theguardian.com/science/2021/may/22/world-expert-in-scientific-misconduct-faces-legal-action-for-challenging-integrity-of-hydroxychloroquine-study

2 Likes

But it just says don’t mess up with goverment, they’ll find you anyway?

3 Likes

If you like your privacy try using duckduckgo.com for searches instead of Google. Results are similar but they don’t track you, don’t follow you with ads, and don’t store your personal information.

2 Likes

I do not know if this is still the case, but when I used it, duckduckgo has a search history; this means hackers can still get your personal information by hacking the search history.

1 Like

It is great that you are not concerned by phenomena like doxxing and cyber-bullying.
For educators, there is indeed a problem.
For example in the US:

88% of teens say they share too much personal information online.
More than 59% of US teenagers have experienced bullying or harassment online.
90% of teens in the US believe that online harassment is a problem.
19% of adolescents were involved in online aggression in the past year.
64% of students who were victims of cyberbullying said that it affected their ability to learn and feel safe at school.
Cyber bullying suicide stats indicate that there were 11.8 deaths per 100,000 teens in the 15-19 age group, which is up from 8 deaths per 100,000 in 2000.

(stats are pasted from https://dataprot.net/statistics/cyberbullying-statistics/ , I haven’t verified any).

6 Likes

You can delete your browsing history on duckduckgo with the fire icon (which creates a great flame effect) or you can turn on Auto Clear data which automatically does the same thing. You can also clear bookmarks and favourite websites. The user has complete control of duckduckgo.com and how it handles their information. Try that on Google.

2 Likes