iNaturalist Brand Refresh

The new bird looks as if it could fly, the old one must have struggled to get airborne.

5 Likes

It always reminded me of a kereru, native NZ wood pigeon. very clumsy flyer!

for me there was also an element of rodent in the image…

4 Likes

To me the old also had the unknown symbol . I kinda liked the morph of leaf, unknown and bird as well as other symbols that could be seen in it. I think there was a lot of thought put into the symbols across the platform.

4 Likes

Hell yeah!! :raised_hands::raised_hands: I can’t wait for this.

5 Likes

The design update is an improvement all around. Better typeface on the wordmark (and the example of the original looks horizontally compressed), The logo is much improved…less pudgy and with more scalable feather details. I also like that the new design gets rid of the interior lines on the wings, making the elements shapes instead of a drawing.

5 Likes

Looks good to me. Much sleeker and universally compatible design.

4 Likes

Overall, great! I’d be tempted to make the i-dot more obviously leaflike.

8 Likes

I like that it has a more modern sleek look. I think the style would look good on the iconic taxa icons as well.

3 Likes

I like the new bird and without fine detail it will look better on systems with poor resolution.

But it also occurs to me that since the new leaf above the “I” is missing its petiole the combination looks somewhat like a candle with a flame above.

Tom

6 Likes

I love it! Cleaner and certainly more scale-able.I agree with some of the users, that the bird’s beak might look better if it was more inline with the bottom of the leaf - I hope you don’t mind, but I played with it a bit. I aligned the baseline of the leaf with the tittle, and rotated the entire bird just a bit so the center-line of the beak is lined up with the baseline of the leaf. And yes, I am a (recently) retired graphic designer with too much time on my hands…lolz

10 Likes

Looks great, @abhasm. Will the icons for iconic taxa be updated as well to reflect the newer, sleeker design of the logo?

5 Likes

I like them! And now, as an added bonus, we get two flavors of iNat: Classic and New.

(Insert your preferred ‘Classic/New Coke’ joke here.)

6 Likes

I’ll miss the old font too–it had character!

(Not a complaint by any means, just expressing appreciation for the retirees.)

6 Likes

@artemis224 Thanks for your thoughts! I tried many iterations of the bird that weren’t rotated, but ultimately decided on a slight upward angle because of how it implies motion of the bird flying upward.

@bobby23 The iconic taxa icons are definitely something I’d like to update with this branding in mind, but they are likely something that will come a bit later!

9 Likes

I can dig it! Excellent design! :D

3 Likes

Update: new branding is live! More on the blog.

7 Likes

Oh well… I guess I will get used to it. Don’t really understand why change is better.
Onward and forward.

1 Like

now that the leafy “i” is more of a candle, and now that the chimeric bird is more bird-like and less a reflection of the leaf, i find that my brain keeps asking why that bird is attracted to a candle…

birds attracted to night lights make me think of window strikes, which is probably a bad thing…

but i think it might be fun if you guys ever decide to animate the logo to start with a moth attracted to the flame, and then have the bird swoop in and swallow the moth. the bird would swoop down and to the left (or maybe down, to the right, and towards the observer), capturing the moth, and then the bird would turn around and come back up and to the right. right as it gets into the proper position, you could animate a camera shutter effect, stopping the motion of the bird and fixing it to the left of the iNaturalist text.

(i thought about just a moth, but the logical placement for that kind of creature probably isn’t ideal.)

one more random thought: the leaf-flame on the old logo is positioned so that it looks like it could have been been spewn by the chimeric dragon-bird. in the new logo, it looks more like the bird is blowing out the flame. so i think i’m going to call the new bird Birthday Bird. :birthday:

14 Likes

Don’t like it (well, I do like the font change). The bird/leaf icon have lost most of their character. Haven’t liked a few rebranding efforts at organizations I supported.The steady march to simplicity lacks interest.

2 Likes

Ok, lets try to bring the world together, I hope over time, we will get used to the new image, and of course, I hope is the spirit we can keep on the use of iNaturalist around the world.

4 Likes