Indicate the language of the app/website an observation was made with

This request might sound similar to this one, but with a different focus:

Helping others how to use iNat (probably a newer member), it would be helpful to use the exact terminology of their display when saying ‘click on that button’ or ‘use these settings’. It is easy to switch the language of the site by adding ?locale=XY to the end of a URL, so one could guide them better using their language. And many non-english native speaker might still be preferring the original to their translated version.

(going through old topics with no replies)

This is an interesting idea, but I don’t think that information should necessarily be collected and/or that people should have control over whether it is displayed (and not “on” by default). See also the suggestion for people to enter their language fluency on their profiles: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/indicate-a-users-preferred-language-s/2890

FWIW you can usually get a pretty good idea of the observer’s language by looking at the locality notes of the observation. eg https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/95746744

The locality notes are what we get from Apple Maps or Google Maps and they should reflect the observer’s language settings (although that might not be the case 100% of the time). I just made (and deleted) a test observation with a location in Vienna/Wien and the locality notes are in English:

3 Likes

If this was a deliberate choice in our settings - it would be kinder to people who feel the need to apologise for their English
Meanwhile we can easily understand them, and I appreciate that they make the effort - while I am unable to write in their language.
I married the (Swiss) German name, but English is my language (German would be second). People living in Zurich … speak many many languages.

1 Like

that sounds like a very reasonable approach :+1:t3:

I think I’ll close this, it’s not something we’ll move forward with. I’d prefer some sort of user setting or profile field, but can’t make any promises there.

1 Like