Intro and Noobie Question: How Many Observations of a Species?

All sides of birds are shown in proper guides though.

2 Likes

can you elaborate by what you mean as ‘proper guides’? Some feature on iNat?

Or are you just referring to other sorts of reference material that are high grade. I have 4 different bird guides and none of them show all angles of a bird although I found a reference pdf for warblers that shows them from different angles but then, one depiction of a bird doesn’t always help. I find the more depictions I can reference, the more sure I can feel one way or another (confirm or eliminate)

But my comment was mostly about making a point that multiple photos of an organism can serve many purposes.

And if by ‘proper guide’ you were referring to a feature on iNat, that would be a good thing to know. :-)

1 Like

I love it. I hope you made a comment on the observation about about just that: “they jettison cargo in the second before launch” since that could prove really interesting to a more casual observer of nature that is using iNat. And a perfect example of how ‘one more photo’ of a bird is showing something distinctive.

I personally didn’t want to gather a lot of repeat photos of a particular species for last weekends CNC. But I did upload four for American Robin - one female gathering mud for the nest, one male I assume was the mate (nest being built in my backyard), one of the nest, and one more in a nearby park of a female with mud on her breast.

Maybe it’s my teaching background that finds stuff like that exciting and I seek to illuminate it for others learning and getting excited about nature.

3 Likes

I support your omment, just noting that if you struggling to find angles in photos there’re usually artists who draw those. I have no idea about USA guides, I only remember Collins, and he does depict birds from many angles as I see. But other best guide artists like Svensson and Johsson can be an example too. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/6d/b7/97/6db797f43fb0359b251518ab6f8ee907.jpg

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.