Is it possible to download a species list from a project? Not all of the observations, just the species list generated

Is it possible to download a species list from a project? Not all of the observations, just the species list.

2 Likes

I have asked this, or something very similar, on here before. The short answer is that there is no simple fast way of doing so. I ended up downloading the whole dataset and writing a few lines of code in R to extract the species list.

1 Like

Sort of… You can use the /observations/species_counts API to download 500 species at a time for a project (ordered by most commonly seen). Here’s an example. So if your project has less than 500 species, this will work great. If it’s more than 500, you’ll have to submit multiple API calls (incrementing the page parameter). The results are JSON data, not a flat list, so you’ll also have to parse the JSON, but that’s easy if you know how to do basic programming. So it’s not as simple as it could be, but it’s possible.

1 Like

@michael.rabalais I found a much simpler way to get a list, but it helps if you speak Russian… Go to https://kildor.name/inat/new-species, enter the project ID or name in the 1st field, enter nothing in the 2nd field (unless you want to restrict the results to a specific user), in the 3rd field choose a start date (or something like “01/01/1970” for all observations), in the 4th field enter today’s date (which should be the default value), and leave the checkboxes blank. Then click the button to generate the list. If you want the output as a CSV file for importing into a spreadsheet, check the last checkbox. Hope that helps!

2 Likes

if you’re relying on the set of tools made by @kildor, it seems like the project species tool would be a more direct way to get the species list for a project.

i made a page a while back which may or may not be useful for viewing the results in a human-friendly format. it wouldn’t be much work to add functionality to that page to export the list of taxa, but i never really understood why people really would want to do that. so i’ve never bothered.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.