Is there a tool / code snippet that allows downloading of taxonomy data from the site?

Hi Jane,

I was going to create a new topic, since I got you here I’ll just shoot, as the question is somewhat relevant.

I’m wondering if it’s possible to get (a selected part of) the up-to-date taxon tree of iNat, labeled with localized common name (just like those when using iNat export tool). As far as I know there is not an API for this. I’m not sure if it’s appropriate to raise a feature request, as it may not be useful to most users. But it’s surely something that iNat stuff would use (at least have a around).

What I want to do is to create guidance of editing common names for curators, https://github.com/wsyxbcl/iNat-chs-names. My current method is to use the iNat export tool, selecting the desired taxon level, do an observation-based export and then clean the data, where only a very small part is used (a waste of the iNat server resource) and it doesn’t cover taxa which do not have any observation. An taxon-based export (with common names) would be useful.

I’d liks to hear your suggestions, thanks.