Is there an iNaturalist for rocks?

Maybe I just need to try Rockd more than I have already or maybe that app has been updated since I last tried it.

1 Like

It’s definitely not like iNat in appearance. I can’t seem to explore the data on the webpage–so all the functionality appears to be on the phone app. On the phone app, be sure to “sign up” because that’s what gives you the ability to post pics of a rock or outcrop at a location–which they call “checkins” (you can post multiple “observations” at a single “checkin”). You can see other people’s checkin observations by looking at the Map, clicking the red hamburger button, and turning “checkins” on. There’s a pretty good explanation of how to use it on the phone app (the ? in the circle at bottom right)

6 Likes

It is unlikely that I will be adding observations to Rockd while it is only useful as a phone app and can’t be used on a browser like iNat can. When I go out exploring I use one camera and it isn’t my cell phone camera (I have the cheapest phone one can buy and I don’t think geologists will find those crappy photos very useful). I sent Rockd a letter requesting they make a better browser version. I would also like the geologic map to be better but… for now I’ll be happy if they just make a better browser version.

1 Like

Check out this similar thread: https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/is-there-an-inaturalist-for-rocks/12638

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.