Let's Talk Annotations

Maybe “body part” as unspecified could be helpful also.
I think that “Fruit” and “Leaf” should be specified as “Unattached Fruit” and “Unattached Leaf” or something like that. Also Unattached Flower and/or Unattached Petal could be helpful?

4 Likes

true, somehow I missed it in the popup…

1 Like

Why unattached? I would often like to see (detailed) leaves, when the plant is not flowering,

1 Like

Presumably because that would come under “organism” (as would attached fruit). I would still like to see “none” added to flowering/budding/fruiting.

Personally I think having organism included would be useful for anyone who wants to go back through their own observations and tag them. If you have a large number of observations tagging them all with something means you can easily find where you’re up to. It would also be useful if there was a collaborative effort to annotate all observations in a project to save people reviewing observations that have already been reviewed by someone else.

3 Likes

How about “leaf mine” (insects)?

3 Likes

A gall is usually a plants reaction to the insect or an introduced pathogen etc, whereas a leaf mine is a specific type of herbivory.

4 Likes

I was trying to suggest that both gall and leaf mine would be useful as separate annotations. I should have added “too” to make that clear.

I’m assuming a use case will be annotating “needs id” observations so that people who are good at identifying those signs can find them. I often come across leaf mines when identifying. Mostly I can’t confidently identify but I could annotate them so someone who can id them can find them easily.

Fruit (plantae) seems insufficient, we’ll probably need Seed (plantae) to cover things like pinecones.

Here’s a recent observation of mine which doesn’t fit any of the suggestions so far: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/38488869

I’m not sure what to call that. Cache? Maybe the more general Predation Event?

1 Like

Suggestion to add an Annotation specifically for migrating animals, such as birds.
Could be named ‘Migratory’ with a binary choice (yes|no)

Reason is that I believe there is different information content (especially when shared with GBIF) in observations that were observed on the ground and those that fly over at high altitudes.

Did anyone suggest adding “cotyledons present” to plants? Now that it’s spring, I’m starting to see lupines that I’m learning to ID by cotyledon shape and just realized how useful that annotation could be.

1 Like

For Plant Phenology, it would be great to add a category “Not Flowering”. Right now, if the plant is bare of flowers or fruit, you can’t select anything and so if you are trying to tag everything, in filter it looks like those still need to be filled out, when in fact, there simply isn’t a choice.

3 Likes

then rather
leaves
or
foliage

It was already suggested, hard to find a message in this long topic, but it was something like “vegetating”.

Foliage wouldn’t cover bare but identifiable plants (eg. leafless trees in winter), would it?

In our temperate climate, it is which flower belongs to that leaf.
Bare trees in winter are a rare and exotic sight.

2 Likes

Oh, I never said it happens in my neck of the woods, either!

But I have heard tell of mysterious, exotic, faraway lands where they have four seasons!
I know, I wouldn’t have believed it myself, but it came from reputable sources. ;)

It is for the denizens of those legendary climes, who may also be on iNaturalist, that I posed the question.

10 Likes

There is a new annotation for plant phenology or so far I am aware. However, it needs to be translated into Spanish,

2 Likes

Yes, “No evidence of flowering” has been added under Plant Phenology, for Angiospermae.

7 Likes

If I can ask a question about it: would it be the correct annotation for a situation where the photo shows that a fruit used to be present, but has already fallen / been picked / eaten by something? As I understand fruiting doesn’t apply in that case.

Willows Salix can have male and female catkins which look very different. A gender option would be relevant for plants also.

1 Like