Lightly obscure all records on iNaturalist

In terms of being able to look at the exact spot where an observation was made in order to view that same animal or population, to me that already sounds troubling even without the poaching threat. Perhaps you are the only person in the world with that particular desire. But as iNaturalist continues to grow in popularity, if any significant number of people actually want to visit exact coordinates for a sighting, that could easily have a detrimental effect on that plant, animal, or fungi whether or not they take it away. I’ve heard that specific complaint in terms of birds (disrupting nesting and other behavior), reptiles and amphibians (disturbance of habitat), and big trees (trampling of habitat), and imagine it could have a detrimental effect on just about any microhabitat.

It also kind of violates the ethic I grew up with in wildlife viewing, which is that the search is the major part of the experience.

If there is a particular species you really wish to look for, it’s always possible to contact the data provider and ask them directly, right? It is when strangers wish to do so without revealing their identity that trouble starts.

3 Likes