Look - alikes that are often confused

If you don’t know which one it is, add species id and when someone else adds a cariety id, you can click on “can be improved>yes”, or from the start tag an expert and see what they say. If there will be a split, species-level ids will be changed on genus ids, so even if there’s no variety RG right now, you will always be able to make new species id later.

2 Likes

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Marina. Your patience with the bumbling-along levels (like me) is extraordinary, and most appreciated.

2 Likes

You’re welcome, don’t worry, that was a valid question!

2 Likes

So, in the context of this thread, lookalikes amongst varietals must be very common then, correct?

Sure, everything so close taxonomically can look almost identical! Sometimes there’re bold differences, but as this case proves, not always.

1 Like

If you think those are a tough the next difficulty level is Short-billed and Long-billed Dowitchers… shorebirds are always a fun challenge.

This post reminds me of a comic I once saw on empids:

8 Likes

You have found something that is very rare to see here! An almost pure Cypripedium parviflorum var. parviflorum, it’s quite easy to understand, the flower is quite small, quite evident red spotting in the entrance of the labellum and twisted, dark-brown tepals.

I was wondering whether you could make the picture CC, I am writing a monograph about Cypripedium and this would be quite interesting to put in the parviflorum species section.

1 Like

Sure! I’m delighted to contribute this to your work. Oh, how I wish I had something other than my phone camera on this one. But if you can use it, that would be great.

Would you please send me a copy of your piece when completed? Thank you.

And I hope that your heatwaves will soon pass.

1 Like

Strigose Bird’s Foot Trefoil (Ottleya strigosa) vs Chile Trefoil (Acmispon wrangelianus) are hard for me to tell apart.

Popcorn Flowers (Plagiobothrys) and Cryptanthas. Sometimes the only way to get to species is to harvest sub 0.5 mm seeds. I only confidently ID them as Cynoglosseae and assume observers know more than I do when IDed to species.

Thank you! I think it’s obvious but I’ll say it anyways that I cite everyone for their pictures obviously.

Of course! I think it’s going to need a lot of time as I’m doing everything alone at the moment.

I hope that too! This week has been forgiving but all of my Sobralia collection is on halt, more heat is to come, unfortunately…

I can’t tell one Taraxacum officinale from another (some people will catch the subtext there).

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.