Macro Flash Diffusion material

Happy that you found it useful…Would like to see your results if you decide to try the LCD diffusion materials.
I understand your feelings on the 2 head flash…it is difficult to diffuse but gives nice results when achieved. I have to shoot my 2 head unit on 1/2 or full to get the desired results, which greatly cuts down the battery life and flash recharge time.
Wonderful image of a beautiful specimen!!!

Enjoy your “bug hunts” !!

I got around to taking the sheets out of my busted monitor. I was quite impressed with their diffusion and efficiency. The fresnel layer produced two widely separated spots - not what I expected but possibly even more useful. It should be fun to create a new diffuser once I get my new flash heads.

:+1:t3: The two separated spots maybe due to distance between the flash head and diffusion material…Suggestion to try different distances between flash head and diffusion material and also the angle at which the diffusion material is relative to the face of the flash head. I use all three layers together, I get the best results in this manner.

I decided to give this a try after I found a discarded Samsung monitor in an abandoned field next to my house …

I don’t have pictures of the disassembling. Only of the final product. I added some small button/lock thingies that hold it in place.

And here a sample of the before and after.
Bare flash tenebrionid.

And with the diffusor (yes lots of dust in my lens)

I’m quite happy with the result, but still need to practice with it. Thanks for the idea.

1 Like

Nice @fmiudo !!! It sure made a noticeable difference in softness of the light from your flash. I like your design of the diffuser also.
I am happy to see that it is of benefit to you and your photography. Thank you for sharing your results and please share more when you can.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.