Macro Flash Photography

There are about a gazillion guides, articles, and discussions for exactly this all over the internet, both in text form and on YouTube. It’s an extremely popular topic. Here are just a few examples of both articles and videos on this exact topic

It’s often been discussed here on iNat as well, although usually as part of a larger discussion on macro photography.

It’s not really possible to give a “best” answer to what specific equipment will get the best results as it depends on what your camera setup is like. As an example, a lot of iNat participants are using their phones and will have very different gear needs and requirements than those of us using DSLRs.

If you’re using an interchangeable lens camera a ring flash is really nice as it is right up where the action is so the lens doesn’t cast a shadow over the subject, and it’s affixed to the camera, freeing up hands.

Personally, I don’t like them much though as I don’t like having cables dangling around to catch on things.

For myself, I prefer having a high powered flashlight that I use as an off-camera steady light. I find it’s far easier to get the focus and exposure nailed, and you can move it around to get nice shadows and contrasts.

The one I was using for these observations has two lights, so the shadows are a bit weird, so if you go this route pay attention to the light setup:

You do have to be more careful using a steady light though.

1 Like