Make crustaceans and myriapods iconic taxa

Arachnids and Insects are both major groups of arthropods and have their own category on iNaturalist lists. I am humbly proposing that crustaceans and myriapods, also major groups of arthropods receive their own unique categories so that these cool animals aren’t just lumped in with the “other animals” category

well, then there is the ENTIRE kingdom of plants lumped together. It would be great to get some splits into at least gymnosperms and angiosperms and ferns and mosses, or something. But the way they nest together it’s hard to do that without making polyphylletic groups i guess.

7 Likes

Agree, I think there’s still enough free screen space on that menu to add another row of categories

1 Like

Bacteria and viruses could use their own icons, too.

9 Likes

I’m not sure how significant of an issue that is. Reptilia is a polyphelletic group, yet it is also considered an iconic taxa.

I would at least like to see all arthropods represented by a red teardrop on the maps.

1 Like

Yes, me too – I totally want an icon for Bacteria, and one for Viruses!

I fairly often photograph plant diseases that are identifiable to the species level from the appearance of the leaves, or other parts of the plant affected.

4 Likes
Don't forget the Archaea.
4 Likes

I would instead lump insects and spiders into an all-encompassing “arthropods” group and use the newly open slot for something like bacteria or another missing taxon.

9 Likes

Yes! Agree.

I 100% agree with crustaceans and myriapods but I think Chondrichthyes also deserve to be iconic taxa.

There is a topic about them too.

Crustacea and Myriapoda definitely need to be iconic taxa.

1 Like

We need 80% of biodiversity to get more than - oh yes, and then there’s plants. End of.

I strongly miss any reaction from the curators so far, as this thread is lasting by now for the average duration of a pregnancy. and yes, also for me more iconic taxa would be usefull.

Hope you mean not a human pregnancy? There’re requests earlier than this one, iNat doesn’t have funds and hands to add everything quickly.

I would really really like Cnidarians to have their own as well. This includes stony and soft corals, jellies, hydrozoans, anemones and more. There are nearly 2000 species on iNat (more than myriapods), and they don’t fit within the current icon taxa.

2 Likes

I’m definitely down for a few more iconic taxa but that will have to wait until a broader redesign of iconic taxa.

3 Likes

Reptilia is actually paraphyletic, not polyphyletic.

I think it would be easy to avoid polyphyletic groups, it would be paraphyletic groups that would be hard to avoid. Especially since Plantae, Charophyta, Chlorophyta and Magnoliopsida are all paraphyletic.

One year later. More icons for plants coming?

1 Like