Make "No, it's as good as it can be" take effect with fewer than 2 IDs

This happened in Jan 2018. I’m not sure if there was much background or discussion of the change, but I think it was a good one because I think that there should be a community opinion on what the appropriate taxon is before observations no longer deserve the attention of identifiers. I also think the issue of what can and cannot be “confirmed or improved” is even fuzzier than all the other DQA topics, almost all of which are already pretty fuzzy, and I suspect that’s why we give it a different visual treatment in the DQA. I almost never click these boxes except for my own observations because it’s extraordinarily hard to say that someone else with more knowledge of the taxon or the place could not add a better ID.

6 Likes

Makes sense. What about making it possible with one vote only for one’s own observations. I guess if I’m certain the photo is no good I can just delete it to make the observation casual that way. But once or twice I had people verify ones I thought couldn’t be…
I guess though that I shouldn’t just skip these ones and hit review. Should I do non disagreeing high level id?

1 Like

So I guess the work-around for @schoenitz’s issue, for “obviously” unidentifiable observations (totally blurred images, or each photo of a different species and absentee observer, etc.) is two steps instead of one: add your own high-level ID first, then tick “No, it’s as good as it can be.” And if there is no existing ID, it will take two people agreeing to make this happen – probably not a bad idea in general. If one feels really strongly about getting something to Casual status, one could @ recruit another user.

4 Likes

Exactly! Easy done too… And for those that would call it “brigading” I would disagree, because it only classes as brigading if you are doing so in a contentious case. That is not to say that it won’t become a contentious one, but at that initial stage, there is nothing wrong with inviting the second opinion

1 Like

Only one person needs to check “No, it’s as good as it can be” for an observation that has two genus-level observations to go to research grade.

See https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/20967447

Try it yourself on a observation that cannot be identified to species from a photo. DNA analysis creates more and more such taxa every year.

2 Likes

nah, it’s the splitters doing that. DNA analysis just is the justification they use.

2 Likes

I don’t think we’ll be moving forward with this request, so I’ll close this topic.

2 Likes