Naturalists ruin everything - what have you ruined for your friends?

Expanding on what’s already been said. The sexual behavior of the male Mallards extends past their own species! Mallards are known to hybridization with many other duck species. For ducks such as the Grey Duck, Hawaiian Duck, and Mottled Duck (and others), continued hybridization with Mallards could spell their own extinctions.

Mallards are dirty!

3 Likes

The funny part is, I absolutely agree! I am utterly fascinated by ants - they’re pretty much the only organism besides ourselves which build cities, have society-wide wars, practice slavery, agriculture, herding… you name it, they do it. They even have special crop species of fungus that don’t exist anywhere else but in the underground fungus farms!

…and yet, when I actually SEE them swarming around, my brain just short circuits right to “Aaaaaaah run away!”

10 Likes

Looks like we’ve un-ruined ants. Yay!

4 Likes

and @lappelbaum thanks for the links! I did not know of that behavior and I still love otters.
It kind of completes the pack of things that mustelids do that is not expected of such cute animals…

1 Like

Harvestmen used to really freak me out. I think it has something to do with the lack of body segments. They seem “wrong”, like they are mechanical or alien. I’m better now with just one or two (and will even approach to take good photos) but a large group that has become a mass of legs… :cold_sweat: yikes!

5 Likes

Then you may appreciate these fire ants forming a raft in my yard when the lake flooded back in January: https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/105193953

5 Likes

I think they are very fascinating. Did you know that their second pair of legs contain the tracheal tubes? They’ll survive a leg sacrifice of any of the others when needed though. Also, though mostly solitary, some species will actually swarm together to make it through a coolish night, coating rocks, and tree trunks .

Their waving legs are a behavioural defense meant to confuse potential predators.

I find close-up views of them fascinating. There’s something so steam-punkish about their appearance. They looked like they’re bolted and soldered together.
IMG_20220916_232827-01

And for more harvestmen fun, check out this episode of one of my favorite podcasts, Grubbing In The Filth:

https://www.buzzsprout.com/1454458/10699293-harvestmen-with-meg-skinner.mp3

6 Likes

Fynbos has many species which depend on ants to store their seed underground, where they are protected from fire. We have a cocktail ant nest outside our kitchen window. Remain at a respectful distance please, or we bite!

4 Likes

Oh, those pictures kill me. I wish I could actually say something about it, but usually I just try to be glad that the plants they cut were all invasives that are now prevented from going to seed :joy: every now and then someone posts a cut bouquet of genuinely-wild flowers and it hurts a little bit, especially when they take rare/uncommon ones in these giant bundles.

4 Likes

LOL! I will do that.

I’ve seen the latter situation you mention — a beautiful bouquet of sunflowers that a visitor to a wildlife refuge had collected and placed in their car between the front seats. But the sunflowers were a federally endangered species. I should’ve taken a photo.

3 Likes

I can’t say I’ve ruined things for my friends, who are generally nature freaks like myself. They’re just interested. My relatives often say, “Eew” but roll their eyes and seem to enjoy being disgusted at second hand. Anyway, they’re used to it.

2 Likes

Telling one of my coworkers who loves football about how much of a carbon footprint just one home game would put out (ie tailgating, jets flying over, fireworks, human waste, electricity, being stalled in traffic after the game, travelling for hours there and back home, travelling via plane, media crews, promotional flyovers,the blimp, the sightseeing, all of that gas and electricity and humans breathing and belching is impacting global warming and that is just one game… even high school games seem to now require fireworks…and its going on all over the world… and it keeps getting bigger… bigger stadiums… bigger audiences… so we as a species are doomed.

7 Likes

People seem to enjoy blaming global climate change on cow farts. We are the annoying one who points out it’s actually cow belches, not flatulence, that accounts for their vilified methane output (though their gas and manure do contribute) :cow:

5 Likes

You may enjoy this video of a Bunny Harvestman:

Bunny Harvestman preparing for a new day

It’s too cute!

8 Likes

Nor are there any melanistic cougars (despite the constant alleged sightings of “black panthers”)

Better yet: tell a vegan about how “fruit-eating” monkeys will gladly eat eggs and even chicks from a bird’s nest.

Or ask a paleo practitioner: what happens when a fox kills a lactating female rabbit? Will it refrain from “drinking the milk of another species”?

How about explaining to an avid meat eater where vitamin b12 really comes from?

1 Like

Orchids are pretty flowers, aren’t they?
…But, did you know where the name “orchid” comes from? It’s derived from Orchis, the type genus of the family. If you translate the name of this genus from Latin to English, you will see that it means… “testicle”. The reason for this is that the plant’s tubers, where it stores nutrients, resemble testicles (look it up if you want). Even more amusing, in this genus there is a species called Orchis mascula, which just directly translates to “male testicle”.
That might ruin the name “orchid” to some people if you tell them that :D

9 Likes

Explain the anatomy please? What are the bunny ears? And the white stockings so carefully cleaned?

1 Like

I must disagree with calling a bird eating another bird “cannibalism”! Though there are reports of owls eating others of their own species (and several mammals doing the same, often territorially), a barred owl eating a long eared owl eating a screech owl is just predatory birds eating other predatory birds! No more cannibalism than humans eating other mammals. If there’s a source talking about owls being massive cannibals I would be very interested to read it though (and ruin it for non-naturalists)!

However, birds eating birds is still apparently disturbing to some folks. I’ve ruined it for my friends when I’ve told them that hawks sit and watch bird feeders so they can eat songbirds. I also witnessed a reason why hawks perch beside the highway - as I was driving a blackbird or similar was hit by a car. As if it anticipated the hit a Red Tailed Hawk swept in to grab it for lunch! Perhaps it was already in pursuit and chased it toward the cars, or perhaps it just sees a lot of roadkill… I’ll never know for sure.

Like others, I frequently share the fact that herbivores such as deer will gladly eat eggs and chicks/babies, pointing out that being a herbivore is not a moral choice like being a vegetarian! Protein is valuable and most animals will be opportunistic! I like when that clicks.

12 Likes

It even has a bunny face when it turns around a walks away! It is very cute. I also get the vibes of those anime/video game characters that look like cute forest creatures but are actually evil and trying to kill everyone.

2 Likes