New to iNaturalist and trying to help with identifications

Definitely nothing wrong with adding broad-level IDs, in fact, that’s almost all I do. I would say that in the specific case you mentioned, where there’s already a fine ID and no disagreements, adding a broad ID doesn’t really add any information. It’s still totally within the rules and if it’s helping you learn I say go for it, but I think there are probably workflows that are both more helpful for users and other IDers, and also, more fun for you!

I would suggest looking into how to generate search URLs such as the ones suggested by dianastuder and bouteloua. iNat’s UI for the identify tab doesn’t cover half of what you can specify. Very useful IMO is the “exact_taxon_id” parameter which lets you search for a taxon without any descendants. I use this to sort insects to order, which is pretty friendly for the beginner IDer (minus. caddisflies.) If you’re interested in plants I’m sure there’s groups you could do this for as well.

Here’s the wiki post listing search parameters you can use. It’s a little overwhelming, but if you’re ever thinking, “man, I wish I could exclude/include xyz in this search…” you probably can! https://forum.inaturalist.org/t/how-to-use-inaturalists-search-urls-wiki-part-1-of-2/63

As others have said, thank you for helping out. There’s a huge amount of needs-id posts out there and nowhere near enough identifiers to get to them all.

6 Likes