Non-feral outdoor cats

How should one note, if at all, actively pet cats that are outdoors? There are a lot of observations from the DC area in particular that seem to be pretty obviously non-feral domestics on porches and windowsills and the like that are nonetheless outdoors and unrestrained. E.g.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/69325115

2 Likes

I believe they should be marked as captive in the data quality assessment

5 Likes

Yep, itā€™s fine to post observations of these, but if theyā€™re obviously a pet that is non-feral then they should be marked as captive.

3 Likes

Also if possible letā€™s not let this thread roam into the ethics of whether cats should be allowed outside. Thatā€™s a pit of no return on this forum. Best just not go there on here.

11 Likes

But what if I like the pit of no return? Seriously, I agree completely. Itā€™s bootless.

2 Likes

Iā€™m of the opinion that most ā€œoutdoor catsā€ are in fact just feral cats that occasionally receive food from humans. They roam freely most of the time, they interact with feral cats, they kill birds and other wildlife - thatā€™s wild. I therefore tend to vote any outdoor cat that isnā€™t obviously captive as wild.

2 Likes

i think iā€™d rather climb into a bucket with several angry semi-feral cats than debate whether or not people should let their cats outside :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

We had an outdoor cat (farm) named Boots when I was a kid.
(I predict this thread will be closed soon)

This is not about the ethics of cats, but you reminded me of a story. I worked as a homemaker north of Toronto many years ago. One of the places I was sent to was a marginal farm with an older couple. The wife (I forget their names!) was complaining that the cats in the barn had babies, and there were too many cats. I went back about two weeks later, and she greets me with ā€˜Not so many cats. I shot themā€™. Function over form!

1 Like

I only mark as domestic cats that are outside as captive if I see a collar. Thereā€™s a lot more feral cats than people think. Iā€™ve seen people on here really value the data on feral cats too, so I would say if you arenā€™t entirely sure, make a note of your uncertainty rather than marking it as captive.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.