North American field guide suggestions needed!

Looking for the best mammal guide. I have both Princeton and Peterson guide to mammals of North America but am dosappointed in the coverage of some species. For example, neither have Rio Grande ground squirrel which was very frustrating during field work.

Also, does anyone have favorite fern, carnivorous plants, orchids all for the eastern US ?

Carnivorous plant: Sarracinia. There is a pink Lady’s slipper orchid in New England that my mother loved, don’t recall the scientific name.
Found it, Cypripedium acaule

Does either guide have Mexican Ground Squirrel because that’s what it used to be called before a taxon split.

2 Likes

Do you mean favorite species or favorite field guides?

Howdy! I mean field guides but it won’t give me an option to edit it.

This post should read:

Looking for the best mammal guide. I have both Princeton and Peterson guide to mammals of North America but am dosappointed in the coverage of some species. For example, neither have Rio Grande ground squirrel which was very frustrating during field work.

Also, does anyone have favorite guide for ferns, carnivorous plants, orchids all for the eastern US ?

Guides to Ferns:
I have these two, but I can only identify four or five species with any confidence, and there don’t seem to be a lot of people doing IDs, so it’s hard to learn!
I’m not sure if having more books would help me, but I will keep an eye on what other folks recommend here.

IMG_0924

I got around to checking my copies of Peterson and Princeton mammal guides. Both have Mexican Ground Squirrel (Spermophilus mexicanus) which is now Rio Grande Ground Squirrel (Ictidomys parvidens) in the US and is found mostly north of the Rio Grande and marginally in NE Mexico. The fun with taxonomy truly never ends!

1 Like

While not a field guide “The Savage Garden”, Peter D’amato is an excellent reference on carnivorous plants. www.californiacarnivores.com
Coverage of species is quite detailed. Main focus is on cultivation.

2 Likes

Princeton University Press released Emily Sessa (NYBG)'s new field guide to eastern North American ferns yesterday. I am waiting on my copy but I expect it to be excellent, with copious photographs.

1 Like

Its possible because it has been 24 hours before you made the post. Click the three dots and see if you get a gray :pencil2: like image, click on that and then you should be able to edit.

Thanks for checking! I only knew it by its new name genes the confusion. I love taxonomy, always keeping you on your toes.

If you don’t mind, let me know how it is!